Rip Speeds Slow on Some Discs/Backups

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
coffeeroasted

Rip Speeds Slow on Some Discs/Backups

Post by coffeeroasted »

Hey, all. I've tried searching the forums with no luck on my specific issue. I'm having an issue with ripping certain UHD and BD discs where the speed will start out climbing up to 3-4x before slowly dropping back to 1x or slower. I'm running an LG WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03 on Windows 10. I've tried downgrading to 1.02 to no avail. I've cleaned my drive and that hasn't helped. The weird thing is that it's only happening with a couple different discs. Specifically, I've had this issue with UHD Red Sparrow and Hobbes and Shaw as well as BD John Wick Chapters 2 & 3. Other UHD and BD discs I've used have consistent speeds of 3.5x - 6x. I've also tried making backups of the discs and then remuxing from the backup. While John Wick Chapter 3 worked fine and remuxed relatively quickly, the others read the backups at the same slow speeds.

One other thing I tried was when ripping BD It Chapter 2. I had the same speed issue with this disc and then switched the drive to a MacBook. The drive ripped the disc in about 25 minutes, so it was at the normal speed it rips. I wasn't able to rip any of the UHD discs on the MacBook because I was getting hash key errors.

Any ideas?
Woodstock

Re: Rip Speeds Slow on Some Discs/Backups

Post by Woodstock »

Lots of ideas. Which ones correspond to "facts" is hard to say.

Riplock is one thing that some drives have. It limits the read speed when the drive detects that you're reading a video disk. But that detection isn't 100%, and you can disable it, if you find the correct utility, OR your drive can be operated under LibreDrive. I actually have a drive that has Riplock, but I rarely notice it... Most of the stuff I buy, it doesn't detect as needing to slow down for. I often see 5x and above rip speeds with it.

Some disks are just harder to read. There are tolerances in the manufacture of both disks and drives. When a disk is at one end of a tolerance, and the drive is at the other extreme, things slow down. The closer to ideal that both are, the faster the drive can read the disk.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
coffeeroasted

Re: Rip Speeds Slow on Some Discs/Backups

Post by coffeeroasted »

I figured out what was causing the slow rip speeds. The default profile I use is one I picked up off this forum. It causes certain audio codecs (TrueHD, for example) to be converted lossless to another format. When I change the default back to MakeMKV's default, it rips pretty quickly, normally around 4-6x speed.