WH16NS40-NS50 Drive stopped reading DVD and up after a few uses

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
deathangelkiller

WH16NS40-NS50 Drive stopped reading DVD and up after a few uses

Post by deathangelkiller »

After ripping ~5 of my UHD & bluray discs I haven't been able to read any discs other than CD's. I have tried flashing the original firmware back on it and testing the discs but they don't show up. I tried all the WH16NS40-NS50 MK firmware and WH16NS60 MK firmware with no luck. I am currently on WH16NS60 1.02MK. I have taken it apart and cleaned the lenses. I have tried it in a sata to usb (that has external power), I have tried it in my computer. Sometimes when I try to read the bluray/UHD disks it will disappear from my system. I tried it with a different computer to rule out computer specific issues (bad drivers). Unless the windows driver is broken.

Also it seemed like it slowly got less reliable at reading disks before this point. The last disk (forrest gump UHD) I ripped took a lot of fenagling to get it to rip.

Is the UHD/Bluray laser on it dead?
Why can't I read DVD's?
Are there any tools to pull diagnostic data from the drive itself to see if it is spewing errors when reading the bluray discs?
If the laser is dead do you think I can flash the latest firmware on it and RMA it?
Any other reasons this could be having problems?
I tried running it with the bottom off and I was able to see both lasers run (blue one and a red one), would this mean the laser's aren't dead?

Thanks for any more information!
Billycar11

Re: WH16NS40-NS50 Drive stopped reading DVD and up after a few uses

Post by Billycar11 »

deathangelkiller wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:31 am
After ripping ~5 of my UHD & bluray discs I haven't been able to read any discs other than CD's. I have tried flashing the original firmware back on it and testing the discs but they don't show up. I tried all the WH16NS40-NS50 MK firmware and WH16NS60 MK firmware with no luck. I am currently on WH16NS60 1.02MK. I have taken it apart and cleaned the lenses. I have tried it in a sata to usb (that has external power), I have tried it in my computer. Sometimes when I try to read the bluray/UHD disks it will disappear from my system. I tried it with a different computer to rule out computer specific issues (bad drivers). Unless the windows driver is broken.

Also it seemed like it slowly got less reliable at reading disks before this point. The last disk (forrest gump UHD) I ripped took a lot of fenagling to get it to rip.

Is the UHD/Bluray laser on it dead?
Why can't I read DVD's?
Are there any tools to pull diagnostic data from the drive itself to see if it is spewing errors when reading the bluray discs?
If the laser is dead do you think I can flash the latest firmware on it and RMA it?
Any other reasons this could be having problems?
I tried running it with the bottom off and I was able to see both lasers run (blue one and a red one), would this mean the laser's aren't dead?

Thanks for any more information!
it dead because its junk i really dislike these drives and i used to sell them but they are a nightmare to support for a year.
dont waste your time with diag data just rma or replace the drive with a BU40N
they dont care about the firmware they dont check but to be safe i would flash it to atleast the right model
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
deathangelkiller

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:30 am

it dead because its junk i really dislike these drives and i used to sell them but they are a nightmare to support for a year.
they dont care about the firmware they dont check but to be safe i would flash it to atleast the right model
Would you recommend the BU40N over the WH16NS60? Would they both have similar ripping speeds?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

deathangelkiller wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:00 pm
Billycar11 wrote:

Would you recommend the BU40N over the WH16NS60? Would they both have similar ripping speeds?
BU40N will be slower but i have had far less problems with them compared the WH16NS60s
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
deathangelkiller

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:03 am
deathangelkiller wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:00 pm
Billycar11 wrote:

BU40N will be slower but i have had far less problems with them compared the WH16NS60s
Awesome, thanks! With amazon's extended return policy at the moment I returned the WH16NS40 stating it was defective and ordered a BU40N. Cost a bit more but looks like they are more reliable.