Problem with UHD rips from BE16NU50 - Visual Blocking & Stuttering

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
vila2k

Problem with UHD rips from BE16NU50 - Visual Blocking & Stuttering

Post by vila2k »

I've had a BE16NU50 for a few years now and had little trouble with it ripping blu rays.

Drive Information

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST

Product: BD-RE BE16NU50

Revision: 1.02

Serial number: SIK9DH6EI251

Firmware date: 2117-11-20 19:53

Bus encryption flags: 17

Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information

Drive platform: MT1959

Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)

Firmware version: 1.02

DVD all regions: Yes

BD raw data read: Yes

BD raw metadata read: Yes

Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Id used it on a couple of UHD discs in the past but only to pull out the ATMOS audio track as i didnt have a 4K setup

I recent upgraded my Projector to a 4K compatible one and as I collect steel-books had about 30 4k UHD discs that Id never used.

I ripped them all over the last week. Some of the discs had AV sync errors (The Star Wars Discs spring to mind)
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:02:27.564 with duration of 1.666ms : 2 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to -0.016ms
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:52:33.484 with duration of 1.666ms : 2 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +0ms
AV synchronization issues were found in file 'Star Wars- A New Hope_t04.mkv' (title #5)

But most of the discs ripped without throwing up any Error codes.

I found the star wars discs had a lot of of audio problems, skips and visible macroblocking within the first 5 minutes - far more than a couple of skipped frames.

But ive also found almost every other UHD film ive ripped has similar issues. The issues are repeatable in the same point on my Zappiti, a kodi system and VLC.

Does any one know whats going wrong here - many of these discs have never been touched before.

Thanks
jonghotti

Re: Problem with UHD rips from BE16NU50 - Visual Blocking & Stuttering

Post by jonghotti »

That drive is well aged at this point might it be wearing out?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Your player may not be getting the data as fast as necessary, and sometimes players cannot decode h.265 video without hardware acceleration.

The drive you ripped it with doesn't matter - if MakeMKV saved the file, it matched what was on the disk.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
vila2k

Post by vila2k »

jonghotti wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:48 pm
That drive is well aged at this point might it be wearing out?
I've no idea I ordered a new drive today - so will see if that helps.

But its seemed odd to me that it still reads and Rips HD Blu Rays fine given they use the same laser

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:07 pm
Your player may not be getting the data as fast as necessary, and sometimes players cannot decode h.265 video without hardware acceleration.

The drive you ripped it with doesn't matter - if MakeMKV saved the file, it matched what was on the disk.
The player - a Zappiti mini 4k HDR is very able to decode and play h.265 4k - as is my Vero4k Kodi player.

Both are connected via cat 6 to the same gigabit ethernet router as my Synology Nas and the errors occur at the same point.

File directly on my computer playing in VLC shows the

I also tested a USB 3 HD connected directly to the Zappiti player and the files had the same issue in the same place
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

If your ripping process doesn't report issues it's your playback process.

So drill down on it. Put the files on an USB stick and play from it. Check network speed later etc.
vila2k

Post by vila2k »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:54 pm
If your ripping process doesn't report issues it's your playback process.

So drill down on it. Put the files on an USB stick and play from it. Check network speed later etc.
I also tested a USB 3 HD connected directly to the Zappiti player and the files had the same issue in the same place

I don't think it would exhibit the same problems in the same place on 2 different players and the computer and the player via a directly connected hard drive if it was due to the playback
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Eliminate the Zappiti in the middle and plug an USB drive with the movie in your TV or AVR
vila2k

Post by vila2k »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:08 pm
Eliminate the Zappiti in the middle and plug an USB drive with the movie in your TV or AVR

Its a projector so doesnt have any onboard playback or decoding.

What AVR's decode and play h.265 files?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Any other hardware opportunities to check the files? Sometimes even unsupported sound formats can disturb playback.
vila2k

Post by vila2k »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:33 pm
Any other hardware opportunities to check the files? Sometimes even unsupported sound formats can disturb playback.
I dont have any other equipement that would play h.265

As I said Ive tested it on two different Playback devices that are designed to play h.265 rips and both fully support Atmos / DTSX

Given the files have the same errors at the same point on both player and on my computer in VLC i dont think its a problem with all the devices suddenly in these recently ripped UHD's

Just remembered I also have an Apple TV 4k with infuse - just checked 3 of the files - same problems in the same place.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I'm out of ideas. You are sure you don't have your network in the playback line?

File -> USB -> TV or AV Receiver
vila2k

Post by vila2k »

What AVR's decode and play h.265 files?

As i said - I also tested a USB 3 HD connected directly to the player and the files had the same issue in the same place.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I have the prequels & The Rise of Skywalker on UHD. Do you have issues with any of these 4 discs or only with A New Hope? I'll happily look closely on my rips if I can.

I have watched all four of my rips and not noticed any macroblocking or audio dropouts (although, for audio, I transcode the lossless audio to FLAC) on a 65" oled tv and 5.1 surround sound.
vila2k

Post by vila2k »

Yes I had problems with all of the Star Wars UHD Discs - I think all had AV Sync error at the end of the rips from memory.

I have the Zavvi Steelbooks so probably a different disc with more European languages?

For what its worth I just checked Rise of Skywalker

00:30 There are several stutters and frame jumps right fast the Episode IX title is floating up onto screen at 30 seconds in.

02:16 Visible breakup and macroblocking and audio glitch as Kylo Ren hit some with a lightsaber.

Also worth mentioning I ripped A new Hope 3 times ; twice as a remuxed MKV and once just backed up as the BDMV file

Both the MKV's has sync errors in makemkv (but not exactly the same)

All three rips had problem but not at exactly the same time
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I tell you: I am pissed!! You sounded that all files were processed flawlessly and now you come up with this.
Stealing other people's time to help you. Moron!