UHD drive for watching 4K BluRays out of the box

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
inkibally

UHD drive for watching 4K BluRays out of the box

Post by inkibally »

Hey there

I just bought the 4k Edition of Star Wars Episode 4-6. Apparently my current internal BluRay drive Liteon IHOS104 ATA/SATA doesn´t support 4k BD´s. Even my newer external Verbatim External Slimline USB 3.0 Blu-ray and MDisc isn´t detecting the disc.
So now I´m searching for an internal drive that can read (and perhaps write) UHD BluRays. I searched on my own but was never really sure, whether it would be the right choice. I don´t want to fiddle around with drivers (except installing one of course). I´d like one that I can just plug in and use.

Best Regards
Woodstock

Re: UHD drive for watching 4K BluRays out of the box

Post by Woodstock »

What does MakeMKV say about the drive, out of curiosity?

Lite-On uses a variety of manufacturers for drives. Some are UHD-capable, but ONLY with approved software. Others just cannot read UHD.

Is your objective to rip UHD disks, or to play back disks using official software, like PowerDVD?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
inkibally

Post by inkibally »

My objective is to watch 4K movies mainly. I haven’t found information about the Liteon drive. I got it in 2014 so I doubt it would be able to read BDXL discs (which I suppose is the kind of disc used for these UHD movies.)
There is a higher end version of my external drive, however my version doesn’t include UHD capabilities in the description.

Best Regards
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

There is an existing forum section where some members list and offer these kinds of services:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

If that is what you are looking for.

Also, please pay attention to and take the time to read the guides/info posts/stickie posts across the forum, including the warnings noted within. They are there to inform and try and answer these common questions and help avoid problems prior to taking such actions. We can’t stress this enough. You can start here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

No drive built in 2014 will do UHD; it didn't exist back then. Only a few drives in 2015 could do it.

Your best bet is a new drive, and St4evr has given you a link to where to start looking.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
inkibally

Post by inkibally »

Thanks yall