BD-RE BU40N of unknown origin. Various flashing questions from a newbie.

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
georgesgiralt

BD-RE BU40N of unknown origin. Various flashing questions from a newbie.

Post by georgesgiralt »

Hello All !
First, I would like to thank you all for the tremendous work done allowing me to view Blu-ray disc on my Linux laptop.
I own two slim LG BD-RE BU40N with the correct platform.
One is I think from China bought second hand has Révision : A100 and MakeMkv reports :

Code: Select all

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 0.A100D
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
The second one is into an external enclosure, was given to me by a friend having got a bunch of second hand hardware to sort and refurbish. Most were computers from Lenovo and I "think" it may be from/for a Chinese or Asian market.
Output of MakeMkv is quite identical except for A102 firmware revision.
This said, I would like to know :
1) will I gain something flashing a new firmware on those two drives ?
2) if yes, what firmware should I choose ? (there are plenty of them for those drives and I can't choose by myself and don't want to brick any drive)... And they are two families of them MK and "non MK" versions.
3) As my external enclosure seems not to allow flashing (not in the list of supported ones) I bet I should swap the laptop drive in order to flash it ?
4) as I'm a Linux (Ubuntu) user, is it safe to flash using ubuntu (and if yes, how) to flash those drives ?
Many many thanks in advance for your help on this ! because the more i read these posts, the more confused I get ;-)
Have a nice and bright day !