BU40N W/ slimline adapter disconnecting

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
deathangelkiller

BU40N W/ slimline adapter disconnecting

Post by deathangelkiller »

I bought a HLDS BU40N and have been using it in the Vantec enclosure, recently the drive stopped showing up in the enclosure. To test if it was the enclosure vs the drive I bought a slimline adapter (Amazon - CRJ SATA Power 15-Pin Male to SATA 6-Pin Slimline Sleeved Power Adapter Cable) so I can plug the drive in via SATA power. Is that the correct adapter, it physically works? The drive shows up now but will disconnect from the computer when used, disappearing completely from device manager.

This is the system event warnings I get when it occurs:
envirtahci [Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.]
disk [Disk 11 has been surprise removed.]

So I am going to assume something is wrong with the drive. This all started after trying to read a defective Blu-ray disc (scratches under the protective coating). I am assuming it is a power overdraw issue, not sure how to start debugging this.

Any ideas if this is fixable and any steps I can take to start figuring out what went wrong? Or should I flash it back to factory and RMA it? I have had it since November.
Coopervid

Re: BU40N W/ slimline adapter disconnecting

Post by Coopervid »

This adapter only provides power to the drive and has no data connection to your computer.
deathangelkiller

Post by deathangelkiller »

Coopervid wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 am
This adapter only provides power to the drive and has no data connection to your computer.
Yup and I plugged in the SATA data cable. Thought that was obvious based on the behavior I described.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It could be the cable, drive, the enclosure, or lack of power.

Have you tried a disc that worked in the past?

Have you tried speed control (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22689) to limit the speed and thus the power needed?

I think that Vantec enclosure uses a USB Y-cable… do you have some other device you could use that cable on to see if the cable works? Or some other similar cable lying around?