Official vs Friendly / Sleep Bug Questions

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Mr Ripper

Official vs Friendly / Sleep Bug Questions

Post by Mr Ripper »

Hello Everyone,

I have been reviewing the information on this forum and trying to learn as much as possible. I still have a few questions that I wanted to see if someone could help clarify for me.

1) It is my understanding that the sleep bug will be present on all "friendly" UHD drives unless those drives are cross flashed with the Official firmware (WH16NS60 DE 1.00 or 1.01MK). This is then more of an issue for the ASUS drives because there is no "official" ASUS firmware & there is a potential for being unable to burn BD drives when you cross flash asus drives with lg firmware.

a) I assume then that everyone using asus drives is dealing with the sleep bug?
b) Does the sleep bug only occur when a UHD disk sits idle for > 2mins or does it happen with any disk (Standard / BD) being idle for > 2 mins?

2) I am trying to understand the benefits of the official drive vs the friendly drives. If I am not interested in playing UHD content directly from drive what is the point of purchasing a Official drive over the friendly drive?

a) For example if I purchased the LG WH16NS40, UHD Friendly Internal 5.25 and cross flashed it to WH16NS60 1.02MK. I would then have the same read / write speeds as the official, I wouldn't have the sleep bug like the official and I would pay about 1/2 the cost of the official drive. Am I missing something here?

Thank You!
Billycar11

Re: Official vs Friendly / Sleep Bug Questions

Post by Billycar11 »

Mr Ripper wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:10 pm
Hello Everyone,

I have been reviewing the information on this forum and trying to learn as much as possible. I still have a few questions that I wanted to see if someone could help clarify for me.

1) It is my understanding that the sleep bug will be present on all "friendly" UHD drives unless those drives are cross flashed with the Official firmware (WH16NS60 DE 1.00 or 1.01MK). This is then more of an issue for the ASUS drives because there is no "official" ASUS firmware & there is a potential for being unable to burn BD drives when you cross flash asus drives with lg firmware.

a) I assume then that everyone using asus drives is dealing with the sleep bug?
b) Does the sleep bug only occur when a UHD disk sits idle for > 2mins or does it happen with any disk (Standard / BD) being idle for > 2 mins?

2) I am trying to understand the benefits of the official drive vs the friendly drives. If I am not interested in playing UHD content directly from drive what is the point of purchasing a Official drive over the friendly drive?

a) For example if I purchased the LG WH16NS40, UHD Friendly Internal 5.25 and cross flashed it to WH16NS60 1.02MK. I would then have the same read / write speeds as the official, I wouldn't have the sleep bug like the official and I would pay about 1/2 the cost of the official drive. Am I missing something here?

Thank You!
Some people run ns60 1.00 on asus because they don't care about burning.

No

It only happens on uhd discs

Yes you should just buy the wh14ns40 they are all the same

But I only recommend the BU40N now I have had to many problems with the desktop lg and asus drives
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com