New PC build came with BH16NS40 - safe to patch?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
mm8718

New PC build came with BH16NS40 - safe to patch?

Post by mm8718 »

I just got delivery of my new 3950X PC and i discovered that the builder put in a decent drive.

I am not 100% sure if i can flash this however as it is one of the encrypted ones.

Most importantly...Can it even read UHD discs?

Thanks all - details below

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BH16NS40
Revision: 1.05
Serial number: xxxxxxxxx
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 13:31
Bus encryption flags: 17

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.05
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

No disc inserted
MartyMcNuts

Re: New PC build came with BH16NS40 - safe to patch?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mm8718 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:45 pm
I just got delivery of my new 3950X PC and i discovered that the builder put in a decent drive.

I am not 100% sure if i can flash this however as it is one of the encrypted ones.

Most importantly...Can it even read UHD discs?

Thanks all - details below

Drive Information
Serial number: xxxxxxxxx

LibreDrive Information
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

No disc inserted
Yep, it can be flashed and yes it will be able to read UHD's.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
mm8718

Post by mm8718 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:17 am

Thanks @MartyMcNuts

Can I just use your guide (SDF tool) and select the 'enc' flag when I flash?

Thanks
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mm8718 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:49 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Thanks @MartyMcNuts

Thanks
Yep, sure can!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
mm8718

Post by mm8718 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:27 pm
mm8718 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:49 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Thanks @MartyMcNuts

Thanks
Yep, sure can!
Thank you sir!
mm8718

Post by mm8718 »

Hi @MartyMcNuts

Sorry for revisiting this post but i finally flashed the firmware for the drive today using your tool, checked the encrypted option - flasging worked and i can see MakeMKV recognising it as flashed, however i tried 3 4K disks today and the first one came with lots of reading errors by MakeMKV and the other 2 were not recognised at all.

All i did was flashed, restarted my machine.

Am i doing anythign wrong? I did do a dump of the original firmware in case i need to recover the drive but i hope not. The discs are brand new, 4K version of Lord of the rings Fellowship part 1 &2 and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Suggestions welcome!
mm8718

Post by mm8718 »

This is how MKV is reading the drive now...note this is with a disc loaded!:

Drive Information
Serial number: KL7KAT81109
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted

Is this likely to be the sleeping bug? it spins for a while and then it kind of gives up.

I checked with some older dvd's and they can be read ok.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You should clead all UHDs before inserting. Even brand new and looking pristine. Wash with warm water and liquid soap. Dry with paper towel. Wipe then with a microfiber cloth e.g. the ones used for cleaning glasses. Try again.
railgun

Post by railgun »

I think this clean the disk thing is an overly used comment and not accurate in 90% of the cases.

I'm in a similar boat here, but I'll create a new thread.
mm8718

Post by mm8718 »

Coopervid wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:22 pm
You should clead all UHDs before inserting. Even brand new and looking pristine. Wash with warm water and liquid soap. Dry with paper towel. Wipe then with a microfiber cloth e.g. the ones used for cleaning glasses. Try again.
This is not a clean disc issue. 3 discs in a row is a bit of a coincidence. I kept opening and closing the tray and eventually it accepted the Once Upon a Hollywood film and it's almost finished now.

No luck with the LoTR discs yet.

Besides my older and significantly more user and abused DVDs are working just fine!!!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mm8718 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:00 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:22 pm
This is not a clean disc issue. 3 discs in a row is a bit of a coincidence. I kept opening and closing the tray and eventually it accepted the Once Upon a Hollywood film and it's almost finished now.

No luck with the LoTR discs yet.

Besides my older and significantly more user and abused DVDs are working just fine!!!
Yes, cleaning the discs is usually the first step to resolve these issues.

Also, I suggest using a better firmware such as WH16NS60 1.02 from the MK firmware pack (in the old folder). Essentially anything but staying on 1.05. The newer firmwares majorly suck. On your current firmware, the sleep bug will kick in if a UHD is left unread for more than 2 mins.

Also, I recommend downgrading to MakeMKV version 1.15.2. Plenty of folk have had issues using 1.15.4.

FYI: The LOTR and GoT UHD boxsets have been quite troublesome for most people when ripping.
mm8718

Post by mm8718 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 pm

Also, I suggest using a better firmware such as WH16NS60 1.02 from the MK firmware pack (in the old folder). Essentially anything but staying on 1.05. The newer firmwares majorly suck. On your current firmware, the sleep bug will kick in if a UHD is left unread for more than 2 mins.

Also, I recommend downgrading to MakeMKV version 1.15.2. Plenty of folk have had issues using 1.15.4.

FYI: The LOTR and GoT UHD boxsets have been quite troublesome for most people when ripping.
Hi Marty

Not sure how but after it copied the first disk, I tried the LoTR ones and for whatever reason it did read them and copied them ok. No special intervention other than shutting down and letting it be for a few minutes.

Copied ok, two parts merged, produced a nice 172GB file and Handbrake is busy reducing it now. All behaves as it should.

Will see what happens on the next rip as if it works now I would rather not mess with the firmware again.

The 1.02....thought that was for a different drive all together? Will give that a shot if I come across any issues.

Thanks
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mm8718 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:54 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 pm

Hi Marty

Not sure how but after it copied the first disk, I tried the LoTR ones and for whatever reason it did read them and copied them ok. No special intervention other than shutting down and letting it be for a few minutes.

Copied ok, two parts merged, produced a nice 172GB file and Handbrake is busy reducing it now. All behaves as it should.

Will see what happens on the next rip as if it works now I would rather not mess with the firmware again.

The 1.02....thought that was for a different drive all together? Will give that a shot if I come across any issues.

Thanks
Yep, if it's now working, leave as is. If you decide to change, as I said before, WH16NS60 1.02 from the MK firmware pack is a good firmware. It's faster and no sleep bug.
mm8718

Post by mm8718 »

Thanks Marty

I am assuming I can just override existing firmware...i.e. just flash on top of the 1.05 I have now?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mm8718 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:42 am
Thanks Marty

I am assuming I can just override existing firmware...i.e. just flash on top of the 1.05 I have now?
Yep.