Disc Playback Issues on Verbatim Pioneer Driver

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
mbMKV

Re: Disc Playback Issues on Verbatim Pioneer Driver

Post by mbMKV »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:06 pm
Try turning off USB selective suspending in power plan
Yea, that's the setting I was referring to, which I have already tried without luck.

I don't have a suitable USB hub unfortunately, but I'll try the sfc scan, maybe that'll spit out something insightful.

Thanks for the help everyone!
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

asmcom wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:58 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:07 pm
On a dektop I suggest to use a powered USB hub that provides sufficient power all the time.
Good idea Coopervid. This will probably solve the issue. Maybe there is system corruption?

For attention of Heatvault14

Try running CMD as administrator and running this command:

SFC /SCANNOW

one space after SFC

If there was system corruption found, I would consider restore keeping apps and personal settings.

My advise would be to backup to output file and play this instead. Playing from disc is not great solution if you keep having problems.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
Hello Asmcom,

Thanks for your help. I had already tried the VLC solutions you mentioned in your previous post months ago with no success. Since VLC doesn't have support for forced subtitles (yet) I don't really intend on using it anymore. I tried running SFC /SCANNOW and actually did find a corruption. I have now done a restore but I am yet to do another test so I don't know id that has changed anything. Will post again when I have had another chance to test.
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

Okay, so after I did a restore of my computer I reinstalled both makemkv and media player classic and ran sfc /scannow again to find no issues. I inserted my 4K copy of "The Thing" and it played normally for 13m 41s before it completely froze. Just like before the disk drive was not spinning and attempting to do anything in the media player, even closing the program resulted in a crash.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

heatvault14 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:42 am
Okay, so after I did a restore of my computer I reinstalled both makemkv and media player classic and ran sfc /scannow again to find no issues. I inserted my 4K copy of "The Thing" and it played normally for 13m 41s before it completely froze. Just like before the disk drive was not spinning and attempting to do anything in the media player, even closing the program resulted in a crash.
It's lacking power. Buy a powered USB hub with min. 2A power supply.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

heatvault14 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:42 am
asmcom wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:58 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:07 pm
On a dektop I suggest to use a powered USB hub that provides sufficient power all the time.
Good idea Coopervid. This will probably solve the issue. Maybe there is system corruption?

For attention of Heatvault14

Try running CMD as administrator and running this command:

SFC /SCANNOW

one space after SFC

If there was system corruption found, I would consider restore keeping apps and personal settings.

My advise would be to backup to output file and play this instead. Playing from disc is not great solution if you keep having problems.

Hello Asmcom,

Thanks for your help. I had already tried the VLC solutions you mentioned in your previous post months ago with no success. Since VLC doesn't have support for forced subtitles (yet) I don't really intend on using it anymore. I tried running SFC /SCANNOW and actually did find a corruption. I have now done a restore but I am yet to do another test so I don't know id that has changed anything. Will post again when I have had another chance to test.
There is a fair chance the restore could sort it out if you had corruption. My be worth running check disk on your OS Drive.

CMD as administrator

chkdsk /f /r /x

Scans the file system and its sectors, and fixes any errors found. If needed, this also disconnects the drive.

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Coopervid wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:57 am
heatvault14 wrote:
It could be lacking power on his system.

asmcom

Post by asmcom »

asmcom wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:38 pm
Coopervid wrote:
heatvault14 wrote:

I have tested one of my new Verbatim drives over the last week on several different computers, and it plays 4K videos perfectly. Please see a video with VLC play with no problems

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IJEAOR ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KffE4t ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z51P9B ... sp=sharing

Last video, having played with this drive over the last week, it is great value for money and a great drive for playback of 4K discs with full menus on VLC. UHD Friendly Drives offer a 12 months warranty on this model, and if you are local to the UK we could probably repair your drive. I personally think it is a power issue with the host power on your computer or a corrupted install. The movies I watched in full were John Wick 3, Lone Survivor & Bridge on the River Kwai

heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

asmcom wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:04 pm
asmcom wrote:
Coopervid wrote:

I have tested one of my new Verbatim drives over the last week on several different computers, and it plays 4K videos perfectly. Please see a video with VLC play with no problems

Last video, having played with this drive over the last week, it is great value for money and a great drive for playback of 4K discs with full menus on VLC. UHD Friendly Drives offer a 12 months warranty on this model, and if you are local to the UK we could probably repair your drive. I personally think it is a power issue with the host power on your computer or a corrupted install. The movies I watched in full were John Wick 3, Lone Survivor & Bridge on the River Kwai

I highly doubt it is a corruption due to all the steps I have taken. I just did a complete restore of my computer including apps, files, and settings a couple days ago and ran sfc /scannow afterwards to reveal no issues. After this I played my 4K copy of "The Thing" and it froze at around 15 minutes. After that I did as you suggested and ran check disk and then played "The Thing" again, this time it stopped at around 30 minutes. I then disabled "USB Selective Suspend" and played the disc again and got about 1 hour in before it once again froze.

As suggested by others, I believe the most likely causes to be either a usb power issue, a fault in my disk drive, or some other issue with my particular computer which I have been unable to detect.

Before I investigate those issues further though, as I said in my original post, every single 4K and blu-ray disc I have played has frozen when played in my disc drive. However, the one regular dvd I have played has had no issues. I think it would be best if I test a couple more dvd's to see if this behavior is consistent. If it turns out that dvds do indeed not freeze, would this still necessarily be a power issue?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

heatvault14 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:43 am
asmcom wrote:
asmcom wrote:

I highly doubt it is a corruption due to all the steps I have taken. I just did a complete restore of my computer including apps, files, and settings a couple days ago and ran sfc /scannow afterwards to reveal no issues. After this I played my 4K copy of "The Thing" and it froze at around 15 minutes. After that I did as you suggested and ran check disk and then played "The Thing" again, this time it stopped at around 30 minutes. I then disabled "USB Selective Suspend" and played the disc again and got about 1 hour in before it once again froze.

As suggested by others, I believe the most likely causes to be either a usb power issue, a fault in my disk drive, or some other issue with my particular computer which I have been unable to detect.

Before I investigate those issues further though, as I said in my original post, every single 4K and blu-ray disc I have played has frozen when played in my disc drive. However, the one regular dvd I have played has had no issues. I think it would be best if I test a couple more dvd's to see if this behavior is consistent. If it turns out that dvds do indeed not freeze, would this still necessarily be a power issue?
Yes, most likely USB power issue. As UHD discs are very data dense, the drive can use quite a bit of power trying to read them. Also, did you try cleaning the UHD disc before attempting to play it??
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:02 am
heatvault14 wrote:
asmcom wrote:

Yes, most likely USB power issue. As UHD discs are very data dense, the drive can use quite a bit of power trying to read them. Also, did you try cleaning the UHD disc before attempting to play it??
Thanks a lot for your help. I have not tried cleaning the disc but I doubt that would make a difference as all 4K discs I have tried have been brand new and I have tried many, all of them have this issue.

I have now also tried two more regular dvds. Both of them played flawlessly.

Since pretty much everyone here seems to agree that it is probably a usb power issue I will see if I can get a powered usb hub.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

heatvault14 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:11 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:02 am
heatvault14 wrote:

Thanks a lot for your help. I have not tried cleaning the disc but I doubt that would make a difference as all 4K discs I have tried have been brand new and I have tried many, all of them have this issue.

I have now also tried two more regular dvds. Both of them played flawlessly.

Since pretty much everyone here seems to agree that it is probably a usb power issue I will see if I can get a powered usb hub.
Most 4k UHD discs require cleaning, especially when brand new as they often have an invisible film on them through the manufacturing process that needs to be wiped off.

Give each disc a thorough wiping with a microfiber cloth and see if it helps. You've got nothing to lose!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

Okay, so I tried cleaning the disk and as expect nothing changed. I don't own a powered usb hub but I do own a y-split usb cable that is designed to provide more power to usb devices. I plugged one end of it into my computer and the other into a 5V 3.4A outlet. Unfortunately, this didn't help as while both the computer and makemkv can read the 4K disc just fine, any player I use won't play the disc at all. It will open, but the player will be stuck at 0:00. Dvds still work fine but that wasn't an issue.

I believe this is due to the split cable being usb 3.0 while the the verbatim cable is usb 3.2 gen 1. The data transfer rate of the disk drive is only stated to be 1.5 Mbps which I though usb 3.0 should be able to handle but I really don't know much about the different usb types.

I suppose I will just have to buy a proper powered usb 3.2 hub at some stage. Getting a quality one is kinda expensive though so I don't know when I will get around to it. I would only use it for the disk drive and I don't play 4K discs on my PC that much. Still it is annoying and it would be nice to find a definite solution.
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

heatvault14 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:35 am
Okay, so I tried cleaning the disk and as expect nothing changed. I don't own a powered usb hub but I do own a y-split usb cable that is designed to provide more power to usb devices. I plugged one end of it into my computer and the other into a 5V 3.4A outlet. Unfortunately, this didn't help as while both the computer and makemkv can read the 4K disc just fine, any player I use won't play the disc at all. It will open, but the player will be stuck at 0:00. Dvds still work fine but that wasn't an issue.

I believe this is due to the split cable being usb 3.0 while the the verbatim cable is usb 3.2 gen 1. The data transfer rate of the disk drive is only stated to be 1.5 Mbps which I though usb 3.0 should be able to handle but I really don't know much about the different usb types.

I suppose I will just have to buy a proper powered usb 3.2 hub at some stage. Getting a quality one is kinda expensive though so I don't know when I will get around to it. I would only use it for the disk drive and I don't play 4K discs on my PC that much. Still it is annoying and it would be nice to find a definite solution.
After unplugging the split cable and re-plugging in the disc drive to the same usb port I usually do. I did another test and now all of the sudden none of my 4K discs are playing. Just like what was happening with the split cable, all of them are stuck at 0:00. This was not happening before I tested with the other cable. I have no idea what has happened.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

heatvault14 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:11 am
heatvault14 wrote:

After unplugging the split cable and re-plugging in the disc drive to the same usb port I usually do. I did another test and now all of the sudden none of my 4K discs are playing. Just like what was happening with the split cable, all of them are stuck at 0:00. This was not happening before I tested with the other cable. I have no idea what has happened.

I am using a Vantec USB 3.0 7 port powered hub and all is good, Model No. UGT-AH710U3-BK. Your drive could be faulty?

https://www.vantecusa.com/products_detail.php?p_id=244

heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

asmcom wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:15 pm
heatvault14 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:11 am
heatvault14 wrote:

I am using a Vantec USB 3.0 7 port powered hub and all is good, Model No. UGT-AH710U3-BK. Your drive could be faulty?

https://www.vantecusa.com/products_detail.php?p_id=244

I'm so sorry, it turns out I'm a huge idiot. The day I tested the split cable was October 1st and my makemkv license had expired that day, that is why my discs weren't playing. Everything is working fine now.

I will make a post again when I've done more tests to see if the split cable fixes the freezing.