Disc Playback Issues on Verbatim Pioneer Driver

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
heatvault14

Re: Disc Playback Issues on Verbatim Pioneer Driver

Post by heatvault14 »

I've tested again now using the split cable for additional power and it made no difference, its just the same as before.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

heatvault14 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:32 am
I've tested again now using the split cable for additional power and it made no difference, its just the same as before.
try increasing the buffer in vlc for disc playback
but this is likely a power issue
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:36 am
heatvault14 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:32 am
try increasing the buffer in vlc for disc playback
but this is likely a power issue
I tried that months ago, it didn't help.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

heatvault14 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:37 am
asmcom wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:15 pm
heatvault14 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:11 am

After unplugging the split cable and re-plugging in the disc drive to the same usb port I usually do. I did another test and now all of the sudden none of my 4K discs are playing. Just like what was happening with the split cable, all of them are stuck at 0:00. This was not happening before I tested with the other cable. I have no idea what has happened.

I am using a Vantec USB 3.0 7 port powered hub and all is good, Model No. UGT-AH710U3-BK. Your drive could be faulty?

https://www.vantecusa.com/products_detail.php?p_id=244

Asmcom :mrgreen:
I'm so sorry, it turns out I'm a huge idiot. The day I tested the split cable was October 1st and my makemkv license had expired that day, that is why my discs weren't playing. Everything is working fine now.

I will post again after more tests to see if the split cable fixes the freezing.
Hopefully, it will be good news once you have carried out your testing. I would imagine it will be fine and all your problem will be over.

Please consider buying a MakeMKV license and support the development of the MakeMKV software. When you buy an optical drive of UHD Friendly drives, we offer a special deal on the software, and the selling price for MakeMKV is £39.99, or £49.99 if you don't buy a drive.

viewtopic.php?t=19387

b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

asmcom wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:39 pm
heatvault14 wrote:
asmcom wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:15 pm

I am using a Vantec USB 3.0 7 port powered hub and all is good, Model No. UGT-AH710U3-BK. Your drive could be faulty?

https://www.vantecusa.com/products_detail.php?p_id=244

I'm so sorry, it turns out I'm a huge idiot. The day I tested the split cable was October 1st and my makemkv license had expired that day, that is why my discs weren't playing. Everything is working fine now.

I will post again after more tests to see if the split cable fixes the freezing.
Hopefully, it will be good news once you have carried out your testing. I would imagine it will be fine and all your problem will be over.

Please consider buying a MakeMKV license and support the development of the MakeMKV software. When you buy an optical drive of UHD Friendly drives, we offer a special deal on the software, and the selling price for MakeMKV is £39.99, or £49.99 if you don't buy a drive.

viewtopic.php?t=19387

Yes I already bought a makemkv license after this occured. I have also carried out my testing already and it made no difference.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

heatvault14 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:15 am
asmcom wrote:
heatvault14 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=19387

Yes I already bought a makemkv license after this occured. I have also carried out my testing already, and it made no difference.
Well, this is a strange one. You could have an intermittent motherboard fault, which is heat component related. Have you tried it on a different computer?

Asmcom
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

heatvault14 wrote:
asmcom wrote:
heatvault14 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=19387

Yes I already bought a makemkv license after this occured. I have also carried out my testing already and it made no difference.
What support has the seller of the drive offered you so far?

Asmcom
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

asmcom wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:19 am
heatvault14 wrote:
asmcom wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=19387

Asmcom
I have not contacted them yet since Verbatim only supports using powerdvd to play uhd dics which I would be willing to use but it is pretty much useless unless you are using specific intel cpus.

While I certainly intent to contact them, I wanted to rule out other problems first.

I have not tested the drive on any other computer. The only other computer I have is an older a laptop but I suppose it is worth a try.

Thanks.
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

heatvault14 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:30 am
asmcom wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:19 am
heatvault14 wrote:

Asmcom
I have not contacted them yet since Verbatim only supports using powerdvd to play uhd dics which I would be willing to use but it is pretty much useless unless you are using specific intel cpus.

While I certainly intent to contact them, I wanted to rule out other problems first.

I have not tested the drive on any other computer. The only other computer I have is an older a laptop but I suppose it is worth a try.

Thanks.
Okay I tested it on my laptop and the playback froze just like it always does.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Try with an USB-C cable if you PC has such a port or buy a powered USB hub.
heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

Coopervid wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:11 am
The disc drive came with both a USB A and C cable and I have already tried both. In fact I've tried a variety of cables of different types and lengths. My computer has ports for USB A 2.0, USB A 3.2 Gen 1, USB A 3.2 Gen 2, and USB C 3.2 Gen 2x2. I've tried all of them and the same thing has happened every time. As I said before I have tried supplying the drive with additional power both from another usb port on the computer with a split cable and with 5V 3.4A wall power.
mbMKV

Post by mbMKV »

Just wanted to say thanks for all the troubleshooting you've done already. Since we are having the same issue (presumably), I kinda want to stay in the loop here. If I come up with a solution, I'll also make sure to post it here.

Out of curiosity: Same OS running on the laptop that you tried the drive with? Windows 11?
Only switched back to Windows for HDR support, but I don't recall having this problem while I was still on Linux. I'll give that another shot, maybe it'll help narrow this down to an OS issue (vs e.g. BIOS settings wrt power/USB).
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

heatvault14 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:30 pm
Coopervid wrote:
The disc drive came with both a USB A and C cable and I have already tried both. In fact I've tried a variety of cables of different types and lengths. My computer has ports for USB A 2.0, USB A 3.2 Gen 1, USB A 3.2 Gen 2, and USB C 3.2 Gen 2x2. I've tried all of them and the same thing has happened every time. As I said before I have tried supplying the drive with additional power both from another usb port on the computer with a split cable and with 5V 3.4A wall power.
Then my assumption is that the enclosure electronics is defective. Heard that a couple of times.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Coopervid wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:24 pm
heatvault14 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:30 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Then my assumption is that the enclosure electronics is defective. Heard that a couple of times.
Hopefully he can send it back Coopervidas there is a year warranty on these from Pioneer.

heatvault14

Post by heatvault14 »

It took a while, but I was finally able to secure a replacement disc drive from my manufacturer free of charge. Unfortunately on my first test of a UHD disk it froze 40 minutes into playback. This pretty much rules out a hardware fault. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps and solutions that have currently been suggested. I doubt I will find a solution to this problem but just wanted to keep other users having the same issue informed.

Thanks for everyone's help.