LG WH14NS40-NS50 dying?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Beanhead6291

LG WH14NS40-NS50 dying?

Post by Beanhead6291 »

I purchased the drive mentioned in title 2 months ago and flashed libredrive enabled firmware on it and it has worked perfectly (minus dirty discs that needed cleaned) ive ripped 5 4k titles and some 1080p titles however i am now getting the ude drive error and ALWAYS corrupted files if i try to rip any more 4k discs 1080p still works fine but no matter what disc i try 4k gives the ude error is it dying? I would be very suprised if it was so soon. Maybe the drive itself got dust or something in it? Is this possible should i attempt cleaning the drive or would thst just be a waste of time? Looking at getting the asus 16d1ht but dont want to spend the money if possible.
dcoke22

Re: LG WH14NS40-NS50 dying?

Post by dcoke22 »

Try power cycling the drive. If it is in an external enclosure, completely unpower the enclosure (turn it off, or unplug it) for a few seconds and then power it up again. If it is inside your computer, power down the computer and unplug it for a few minutes.

There's a tiny computer inside optical drives that runs the firmware. Occasionally, it gets messed up and needs to be rebooted. The only real way to do that is to unpower the drive and then power it up again.

I have no idea if that's your problem, but is an easy thing to try.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Beanhead6291 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:18 am
I purchased the drive mentioned in title 2 months ago and flashed libredrive enabled firmware on it and it has worked perfectly (minus dirty discs that needed cleaned) ive ripped 5 4k titles and some 1080p titles however i am now getting the ude drive error and ALWAYS corrupted files if i try to rip any more 4k discs 1080p still works fine but no matter what disc i try 4k gives the ude error is it dying? I would be very suprised if it was so soon. Maybe the drive itself got dust or something in it? Is this possible should i attempt cleaning the drive or would thst just be a waste of time? Looking at getting the asus 16d1ht but dont want to spend the money if possible.
Don't get the Asus it's the same drive there is a reason I stoped selling desktop LG and Asus drives they are junk.

If you want the best UHD drives get a pioneer if your on a budget a BP/WP50nb40/BU40N is ok too but the pioneers are better
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Beanhead6291

Post by Beanhead6291 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:51 pm
Don't get the Asus it's the same drive there is a reason I stoped selling desktop LG and Asus drives they are junk.

If you want the best UHD drives get a pioneer if your on a budget a BP/WP50nb40/BU40N is ok too but the pioneers are better
i see you sell 2 different 5.25 sata pioneer drives would you recommend one over the other? and if i get one off amazon is it always(probably) able to be flashed or do i need a specific hardware revision? im only gonna be ripping discs never creating them. and is a 5.25 drive "better" than usb for what im using it for? looking to do this long term, screw streaming services.... netflix in particular :D
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Beanhead6291 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:19 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:51 pm

i see you sell 2 different 5.25 sata pioneer drives would you recommend one over the other? and if i get one off amazon is it always(probably) able to be flashed or do i need a specific hardware revision? im only gonna be ripping discs never creating them. and is a 5.25 drive "better" than usb for what im using it for? looking to do this long term, screw streaming services.... netflix in particular :D
the 2 i sell are very similar the s13ux us just a better built s13ubk the s13ux has more sound deadening and better quality components like better flex cables and capacitors thats what pioneer advertises both are very quiet compared to the lg and asus.
no the new ones can not be flashed at all you would need to buy one from a seller that advertises them with old fw like me.

yes the 5.25 pioneer advertises as more reliable
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com