VERBATIM Ultra HD 4K - Will this work?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
EuropeanQuestionaire

VERBATIM Ultra HD 4K - Will this work?

Post by EuropeanQuestionaire »

So I´m planning to rip all of my Blu-rays (currently only normal blu-ray) but I´d like to able to rip 4k UHD movies in the future, as Im planning to buy a 4k player soon.

Anyhow does anyone here know if the "VERBATIM Ultra HD 4K" drive will work for this purpose with MakeMKV?
The recommended drives is stupidly difficult to get here in Norway, and Id prefer to be able to skip import fees and expensive shipping from the UK or US
Coopervid

Re: VERBATIM Ultra HD 4K - Will this work?

Post by Coopervid »

The 43888 contains a Pioneer UD04 which will work for UHD.

https://www.amazon.de/Verbatim-Externer ... 9hdGY&th=1

Switch to English as language. I hope they ship to Norway.
n4zZ0r

Post by n4zZ0r »

The 43888 with the USB-C Connector works pretty well.

I'm testing the same drive at the moment cuz my LG BH16NS55 doesn't work everytime.
The Verbatim with the internal Pioneer BDR-UD04 was delivered today, so I can say It works on UHD at x4 Speed.

The official Pioneer Drives aren't available at the moment here so i tried this one. It's the linked one from @Coopervid
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

The official other Pioneer drives have that firmware that doesn't work anymore for UHD until a fix is found by Mike. The Verbatim works out-of-the-box.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Here is a link to buy it directly in Norway:

https://cdon.no/elektronikk/verbatim-ul ... -p52831497
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

I am using this drive for months with no problems under Win11 and OSX but since 2 weeks Windows 11 Home 22H2 has driver problems. The drive is listed in hardware manager but with error code 39. Does anyone has a solution?

Under OSX the drive is still working but no new Beta available.
What about a current beta?

Thx for your help
ruxsin

Post by ruxsin »

Howdy, just curious, i have access to purchase either the 43888 or the 43887, does anyone know if the 43887 will work out of the box the same as the 43888? I have no need for the UHD the 43888 offers. Any insights are much appreciated. Cheers
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

ruxsin wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:40 pm
Howdy, just curious, i have access to purchase either the 43888 or the 43887, does anyone know if the 43887 will work out of the box the same as the 43888? I have no need for the UHD the 43888 offers. Any insights are much appreciated. Cheers
I don't know what actual drive is in the 43887, but the 43888 contains a Pioneer UD04. The Pioneer drives are considered to be some of the best for ripping everything, including DVDs and regular blu-rays. Even if you don't need 4K blu-ray ripping, the 43888 is considered a great optical drive that'll work out-of-the-box without needing to be flashed.
Galactica-Actual

Post by Galactica-Actual »

does the Verbatim 43888 need flashing to work with make MKV and 4kUHD Blu-ray, or is it plug and play?
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

Galactica-Actual wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:39 pm
does the Verbatim 43888 need flashing to work with make MKV and 4kUHD Blu-ray, or is it plug and play?
It should be "plug-and-play". However, having said that, my own Verbatim 43888 always reads an incorrect "Volume ID" from UHD disks. My theory is that LibreDrive is a bit buggy with these devices.
Galactica-Actual

So, is there a drive i can buy that just works, without flashing?
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

Galactica-Actual wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:09 pm
Yes, if you buy from one of the sellers who advertise on this forum :wink:. Choose one who is local to you.
htpc_rookie

Post by htpc_rookie »

If you research other threads you will see that there is a question mark against this drive. There is statistical evidence that this drive has a high failure rate compared to others and for that reason is no longer available through key sellers represented on this site.
I bought this drive before this evidence was posted but have to say that I may have not bought it had this information been available
Mind you, given that the Pioneer firmware issue is still without resolution and stocks of drives with “good” firmware are reducing, buying this drive whilst it is still available might be an acceptable risk.
Galactica-Actual

MrPenguin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:26 pm
Galactica-Actual wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:09 pm
Yes, if you buy from one of the sellers who advertise on this forum :wink:. Choose one who is local to you.
HI

I have contacted someone, waiting for an email back. Ima in the UK. Its UHDfriendlydrives@gmail.com -Or asmcom? not sure it that's the correct user name.

Just waiting on a reply.👍
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

Galactica-Actual wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:33 pm
I have contacted someone, waiting for an email back. Ima in the UK. Its UHDfriendlydrives@gmail.com -Or asmcom? not sure it that's the correct user name.
I have bought two drives from Asmcom, so I'm sure you'll be fine :wink:.