ASUS BW-16D1HT model(?) number

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
leipakuuluulampimaan

ASUS BW-16D1HT model(?) number

Post by leipakuuluulampimaan »

ive been looking to get the ASUS BW-16D1HT drive for my computer but going through the online stores ive come accross a couple different model numbers or something and wanted to ask here what should i get or if these matter or mean anything at all

90DD0200-B20010
90DD0200-B30000
90DD01E0-B30000

main use will just be playing discs but i will do some ripping here and there as well. at least for the moment i have no UHD, 4k or whatever discs.
"sillon ku leipä on niinku lämmintä.... niin se on ollu pakkasessa."
necrosis

Re: ASUS BW-16D1HT model(?) number

Post by necrosis »

Differences are either just region related or if it comes in a external case or not IIRC.

Personally, though look for another drive. Gone through two (burned out the spindle in one) and they have issues with UHD's. Will read some but not all. I remember a post by someone here who sells preflashed drives where they refuse to touch these things anymore because of how flaky they are with UHD's. Standard bluray after LD firmware they are fine.
-
leipakuuluulampimaan

hmm? what other drive would you recommed then?
options can be quite limited for me due to some drives probably not being sold here in finland.
actually after looking through the online stores the only drive other than this asus one was a hitachi LG BH16NS55 its similiarly priced. would it be a better choice?
leipakuuluulampimaan

necrosis wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:08 am
Personally, though look for another drive. Gone through two (burned out the spindle in one) and they have issues with UHD's. Will read some but not all. I remember a post by someone here who sells preflashed drives where they refuse to touch these things anymore because of how flaky they are with UHD's. Standard bluray after LD firmware they are fine.
-

the only other drive being sold here is the Hitachi - LG BH16NS55. is that any good then?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Those drives are roughly equivalent. In fact, LG probably manufactures the ASUS drive as an OEM for ASUS.

Buy from whichever place has the most generous return policy in case the drive shows up dead-on-arrival. After that, which ever one is cheapest.

Pioneer drives are considered a step up and more reliable, but the current firmware is incompatible with MakeMKV and they can't be flashed back to an older firmware. There are sellers on this forum who have some with the older firmware you can buy.

Also, the Verbatim 43888 is a USB powered, slim drive that is available in Europe (don't know specifically about Finland) that has a Pioneer drive inside it that should work with MakeMKV out of the box; they all still seem to have old firmware. This thread has the model number transposed: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30533, but people do like the drive. If they were available in the USA, I'd buy one! :D
leipakuuluulampimaan

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:01 pm
Those drives are roughly equivalent. In fact, LG probably manufactures the ASUS drive as an OEM for ASUS.

Buy from whichever place has the most generous return policy in case the drive shows up dead-on-arrival. After that, which ever one is cheapest.

Pioneer drives are considered a step up and more reliable, but the current firmware is incompatible with MakeMKV and they can't be flashed back to an older firmware. There are sellers on this forum who have some with the older firmware you can buy.

Also, the Verbatim 43888 is a USB powered, slim drive that is available in Europe (don't know specifically about Finland) that has a Pioneer drive inside it that should work with MakeMKV out of the box; they all still seem to have old firmware. This thread has the model number transposed: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30533, but people do like the drive. If they were available in the USA, I'd buy one! :D

that verbatim drive you mentioned is being sold here for 115€ which is 20€ more than the two drives ive mentioned here. looking through that thread people do seem to like it and id be willing to sacrifice 20€ if it lasts longer and in general works better only thing is that im not a fan of it being a usb drive. dont like the hassle of having the drive laying somewhere and then having to get it whenever i want to play a disc and i dont really have a place to keep the usb drive even when using it. i assume the cable wont be very long so it wont even reach my desk and even if it did it would probably make the whole desk shake and at least my usb dvd drive shakes itself so much that it will fall off the desk :D

so is it better enough to be worth the hassle and 20€?

(looks like i double posted my earlier post)
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Check your PM.