Is a SATA drive enclosure needed?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Chuck1112

Is a SATA drive enclosure needed?

Post by Chuck1112 »

So I am looking into getting a SATA Pioneer drive ( either the BDR-212 or BDR-S13UBK ) and I want to have the ability to use the drive via USB connection since I use a ASUS Zephyrus ROG laptop for my disk ripping. I have a few SATA to USB adapters from shucking HDD's and I have tested them to ensure they connect securely to SATA disk drives (LG WH16NS40 pre 2015), I would greatly appreciate any input on if the adapters I already have will be adequate or will I need to get one of the recommended enclosures?

Note: I'm not worried about noise from the drive, I only care about rip quality and speed.
MartyMcNuts

Re: Is a SATA drive enclosure needed?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Chuck1112 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:05 pm
So I am looking into getting a SATA Pioneer drive ( either the BDR-212 or BDR-S13UBK ) and I want to have the ability to use the drive via USB connection since I use a ASUS Zephyrus ROG laptop for my disk ripping. I have a few SATA to USB adapters from shucking HDD's and I have tested them to ensure they connect securely to SATA disk drives (LG WH16NS40 pre 2015), I would greatly appreciate any input on if the adapters I already have will be adequate or will I need to get one of the recommended enclosures?

Note: I'm not worried about noise from the drive, I only care about rip quality and speed.
No, enclosures aren't necessary. A SATA to USB adapter that is compatible with 5.25" drives and has its own power cable will be fine.

It must have it's own power cable or the drive will not get enough power.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Grayfox

Post by Grayfox »

If the drive in question is an internal 5.25" type.
Then YES.
You will need en enclosure for Optical Disk Drives which uses SATA.

If you have any old 3.5" External HDD laying around that may be broken or you do not need.
You can always crack these open and use the USB to SATA adapter board

You might be able to find something like these on ebay or amazon, it would work cheaper than getting an enclosure since you do not need a fancy plastic or metal housing, you will just keep the drive on the desk.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Grayfox wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:45 pm
If the drive in question is an internal 5.25" type.
Then YES.
You will need en enclosure for Optical Disk Drives which uses SATA.

If you have any old 3.5" External HDD laying around that may be broken or you do not need.
You can always crack these open and use the USB to SATA adapter board

You might be able to find something like these on ebay or amazon, it would work cheaper than getting an enclosure since you do not need a fancy plastic or metal housing, you will just keep the drive on the desk.
Rubbish. You do not need an enclosure. A powered sata to USB adapter will be fine.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Chuck1112

Post by Chuck1112 »

Thank you for the input! Yeah I have a couple of SATA to USB adapters that have their own 12v power connection that I got from old 3.5 HDD’s.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Chuck1112 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:57 pm
Thank you for the input! Yeah I have a couple of SATA to USB adapters that have their own 12v power connection that I got from old 3.5 HDD’s.
Yeah, so long as the power cable plugs into a wall outlet you are good to go.