Just want to check ASUS BC-12D2HT

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
KMels

Just want to check ASUS BC-12D2HT

Post by KMels »

I recently picked up a ASUS BC-12D2HT for cheap. According to makeMKV it has the original 3.11 firmware as can be seen below. At this point, is it really as simple as flashing the FW to the 3.11-MK one from MartyMcNuts' "All You Need Firmware Pack" (posted here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896) using the SDF flasher (as also shown below)?

I've already made a FW dump, but I thought this would be more complicated. Anyone who can confirm I'm doing the right thing here? Thanks!

MartyMcNuts

Re: Just want to check ASUS BC-12D2HT

Post by MartyMcNuts »

KMels wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:10 pm
I recently picked up a ASUS BC-12D2HT for cheap. According to makeMKV it has the original 3.11 firmware as can be seen below. At this point, is it really as simple as flashing the FW to the 3.11-MK one from MartyMcNuts' "All You Need Firmware Pack" (posted here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896) using the SDF flasher (as also shown below)?

I've already made a FW dump, but I thought this would be more complicated. Anyone who can confirm I'm doing the right thing here? Thanks!

Yep, that simple.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dannydogg

Post by dannydogg »

Greetings together,

Sharing my experience so far after reading @KMels' post.

I am trying to flash my internal ASUS BC-12D2HT BD drive (connected via internal SATA) and I noticed, there are 2 different links to the "All You Need Firmware Pack" with different content.
In the AYNFP from the Ultimate Guide thread, I was not able to find the MK firmware file for this particular drive, but instead I found it in the different AYNFP from the SDFtool Flasher thread.

This Mediafire link has been posted on "SDFtool Flasher" thread:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ph1ap2eg ... 9.zip/file
which does contain the firmware file for ASUS BC-12D2HT.

And this Google Drive link has been posted on the "Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023" thread:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HRnbXi ... sp=sharing
which does not contain the firmware file for ASUS BC-12D2HT.

@KMels were you successful flashing your ASUS BC-12D2HT BD drive with the 3.11 MK FW yet?
Please keep us updated, thanks! :)

@MartyMcNuts no blame and huge thanks for your amazing work! 8)
Could you please update both threads accordingly to have the same single link to the "All You Need Firmware Pack" with all files? Or is there a reason why 2 packs exist? :wink:
And also could you please update the guide regarding compatibility for ASUS BC-12D2HT?
If @KMels and me are successful with flashing, I am sure we both could confirm that ASUS BC-12D2HT is compatible.

Also, I am on Linux and the SDFtool Flasher seems to be working with Windows only and not compatible through executing via Wine on Linux.
Any chance for a Linux based SDFtool Flasher?

I also tried flashing the 3.11 MK FW file in my Windows 11 VM with a SCSI host device passthrough of my BD drive with kvm/qemu/libvirtd.
In case anyone is interested to go along, the XML config details are provided below, thanks to Github user stevenewbs for the guide:
https://github.com/stevenewbs/blog/blob ... through.md

My configuration:

Code: Select all

<hostdev mode="subsystem" type="scsi" managed="no">
  <source>
    <adapter name="scsi_host4"/>
    <address bus="0" target="0" unit="0"/>
  </source>
  <readonly/>
  <address type="drive" controller="0" bus="0" target="0" unit="0"/>
</hostdev>
'scsi_host4' is specific and might need to be changed, refer to Github guide, it explains how to configure it correctly.

It was able to read and dump the original firmware.
@KMels do you have the same output?

But as I tried to write the 3.11 MK FW file, I got this error:

ERROR: Destkop drive handshake failed with error=0x820b0006, trying slim drive handshake...

Confirming with 'OK', it leads to this error and same error code:

ERROR: Command produced error code 0x820b0006

I have no idea why it is trying a "slim drive handshake" to my in-fact desktop drive.
It might be possible that this flashing operation is not supported through a VM with the BD drive passed through, but since I can read the original FW, I was surprised and thought "then it must be possible to write to the drive, too".

Thanks in advance!
BR
dannydogg
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The SDFtool Flasher only works on Windows. Flashing on macOS and Linux is achieved via the command line. There are instructions for this in the Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide.
KMels

Post by KMels »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:50 am
Yep, that simple.
Perfect! Thanks a lot for quickly confirming! The flashing worked perfectly.
KMels

Post by KMels »

dannydogg wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:43 am
@KMels do you have the same output?

@KMels were you successful flashing your ASUS BC-12D2HT BD drive with the 3.11 MK FW yet?
Yup, the FW dump output was the same for me.

Yes, worked perfectly! Took less than 10 seconds for me on Windows 11 Pro (22H2), using a cheap SATA to USB + power adapter from Aliexpress (https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10050052 ... pt=glo2nld)
dannydogg

Post by dannydogg »

@dcoke22 thanks for your hint, wasn't reading carefully enough and missed the Linux/macOS command line tool, oopsie.
@KMels glad that it worked out for you! :)
I was able to flash the same 3.11 MK firmware on my drive and now I can successfully read and rip my 4K bluray discs :D
Can confirm that ASUS BC-12D2HT with this FW is capable and fully compatible with flashing and reading 4K blurays.
With the addition of the AACS library and according KEYDB config file it's also possible to playback 4K blurays via VLC.
Thanks everyone, have a great holiday and happy new year in advance!
BR
dannydogg