Product: BD-RE BP60NB10
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: **************
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:35
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

But this just happened when trying to rip a 4K UHD, what happened?

The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00278.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 29101271040, attempting to work around
The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00278.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 29101271040, attempting to work around
Too many AV synchronization issues in file '/BDMV/STREAM/00278.m2ts' (title #-) , future messages will be printed only to log file
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Users/My name/Videos/Bluray Rips/Moonfall_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Woodstock

Re: Drive flashed fine, UHD rip failed

Post by Woodstock »

Flashed firmware doesn't make a disk readable if it has errors, and there is also a possible issue with the drive spinning faster than it has power for, if it's USB-powered.

You didn't say if the error moved between rips, or it the drive stopped rotating during the rip.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MaidenHell

Post by MaidenHell »

It didn't rip at all, did these errors then stopped.
My 4K Oppenheimer disk just got delivered and it ripped and encoded fine, guess that 4K Moonfall just won't rip.

Oh and that 4K Moonfall disk was brand new, never been played before.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Sometimes I have to clean discs to get them to work correctly, even when the discs are brand new.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

MaidenHell wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:10 pm
It didn't rip at all, did these errors then stopped.
My 4K Oppenheimer disk just got delivered and it ripped and encoded fine, guess that 4K Moonfall just won't rip.

Oh and that 4K Moonfall disk was brand new, never been played before.
Usually, they need to be cleaned because they are brand new.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MaidenHell

Post by MaidenHell »

Great, I'll clean that 4K Moonfall disc and see if that solves the problem. It ripped my Oppenheimer 4K UHD disc that was delivered yesterday brilliantly, then the encode I did was flawless to where visually you can't tell the difference from the actual disc to the encoded file, My server liked the encode also, transcoded down the 4K HDR10 2160p to 1080p for my bedroom TV without any buffering or anything, makes me happy with my newest server too that I made a great choice, Asustor AS6702T, 2- 8TB HGST CMR 128MB cache in RAID 1 and 2- 1TB Silicon Power NVMe RAID 1 for read/write cache, 4 core Intel, 16GB RAM
Thanks for the suggestion on the cleaning, now if you could inform me of how to clean them best would be great, I have stacks of Blu-rays that I bought new, ripped, encoded, never put in the player again, which the 4K disc of Moonfall hadn't been played before because I didn't have a player that did 4K UHD, but the 1080p Blu-ray was what I ripped and encoded, well I do now have a 4K player/writer and I can start buying the 4K discs, so what's the absolute best way to clean these Blu-rays?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Different folks have different strategies for cleaning discs.

First, it is important to understand that data on an optical disc is written in a big spiral (like a vinyl record). The first layer starts at the inner ring and goes to the outer edge. If the disc has a second layer, it starts at the outer edge and goes to the inner ring. If there's a 3rd layer, it again starts at the inner ring and goes towards the outer edge of the disc.

Any time you touch the data side of an optical disc, there's the possibility that you'll scratch it (or worse). If a scratch goes perpendicular to the spiral of data on the disc, the number of adjacent bytes that are lost because of the scratch is minimized. If a scratch is parallel to the spiral of data, even a small scratch might cause the loss of quite a lot of bytes in a row. The error correction technology built into all this stuff can probably recover small losses of data but probably can not recover large losses of data.

With all that in mind, any time you're touching the data side of the disc, any motion should be in the perpendicular direction to the data spiral, i.e. following the shortest path from the inner ring to the outer edge and back again. This way, if you accidentally cause a scratch while trying to clean the disc the effects of that scratch will be minimized.

Personally, I use plenty of warm water and liquid dish soap. The water and soap are natural lubricants to help minimize the possibility of accidentally scratching the disc. The soap is also great at removing any oils, films, or other deposits on the disc. I lightly use the tip of my finger, moving perpendicular to the spiral of data, to clean the disc. I then thoroughly rinse the disc. I then lay it label side down on a towel and dry the disc with a can of air, being careful not to touch the data side of the disc. The can of air blasts any water right off the disc.
MaidenHell

Post by MaidenHell »

Thank you, I did know not to go round and round on the cleaning motion, but to go back and forth from the hole to the outside of the disc, the soap and water sound great, I will give all my discs a clean with my Dawn dishwashing soap I use. I have always been extremely careful to only touch the disc on the outer edge and not touch the data surface. I'm going to have to get more air, I'm out at the moment. Thank you again.