Bizarre WH16NS60 Problem

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
tewcewl

Bizarre WH16NS60 Problem

Post by tewcewl »

I purchased a WH16NS60 drive from Amazon and flashed it to 1.02. It's been a great little drive for me to rip my discs. But today I noticed a weird problem. It no longer reads DVDs! It will read UHD and Blu-ray drives as well as CD-ROMs, but not DVDs. I tried UHD movies, Blu-ray movies, even my TurboTax installer disc - they all work, but none of my working DVDs will work in this drive.

In my Google searches, I've only come across MakeMKV and Reddit posts that complain that Blu-rays are no longer being read, but I have not seen one that complains that DVDs are no longer working. Any ideas on what I should try?

Fortunately, I did discover that my drive is covered under Amazon returns until January 31. Should I go that route?
dcoke22

Re: Bizarre WH16NS60 Problem

Post by dcoke22 »

Modern drives have two different lasers in them. A 'red' laser for CDs and DVDs and a 'blue' laser for blu-rays and UHDs. Sometimes one of the lasers will die but the other one will keep working.

If you're still within your return window, I'd return it.
tewcewl

Re: Bizarre WH16NS60 Problem

Post by tewcewl »

Interesting. How did my drive read the Turbotax CD then? Did it use the Blu-ray laser since the red one seemingly had failed?

I'll bite the bullet and initiate a return and ask for a replacement.