Can SDFtool Flasher recover from read firmware?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
moltikon

Can SDFtool Flasher recover from read firmware?

Post by moltikon »

Before I flashed my drive I read the firmware and created a firmware dump. Can this dump be used to restore the drive to the original firmware? If so, how?

When I try the Recover process I am asked for the "bad" firmware then the "good" firmware and it is looking for a bin file but the archive is made of multiple bin files, all of them smaller than the "bad" firmware.

BTW, the reason I want to recover the original firmware is that after working perfectly for few days the ASUS BW-16D1HT drive stopped recognizing any disc (UHD or HD) so before I am returning it I'd like to restore the original firmware.
Billycar11

Re: Can SDFtool Flasher recover from read firmware?

Post by Billycar11 »

What's the build date on your drive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

moltikon wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:30 pm
Before I flashed my drive I read the firmware and created a firmware dump. Can this dump be used to restore the drive to the original firmware? If so, how?

When I try the Recover process I am asked for the "bad" firmware then the "good" firmware and it is looking for a bin file but the archive is made of multiple bin files, all of them smaller than the "bad" firmware.

BTW, the reason I want to recover the original firmware is that after working perfectly for few days the ASUS BW-16D1HT drive stopped recognizing any disc (UHD or HD) so before I am returning it I'd like to restore the original firmware.
No it can't.

Did it come with 3.10 or 3.11? If 3.10, just flash the drive to BW-16D1HT 3.10-MK.

If 3.11, I'm not sure if there's a 3.11 official flasher on ASUS's website. You'd have to have a look. If there is, you can use it to go from 3.10-MK to original 3.11.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
moltikon

Post by moltikon »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:03 pm
What's the build date on your drive
It's currently in an external case but I believe it was July 2023 or so.
moltikon

Post by moltikon »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:04 pm
moltikon wrote:

No it can't.

Did it come with 3.10 or 3.11? If 3.10, just flash the drive to BW-16D1HT 3.10-MK.

If 3.11, I'm not sure if there's a 3.11 official flasher on ASUS's website. You'd have to have a look. If there is, you can use it to go from 3.10-MK to original 3.11.

Now I wonder what is the firmware dump that SDFtool Flasher generates good for.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

moltikon wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:48 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:04 pm
moltikon wrote:

No it can't.

Now I wonder what is the firmware dump that SDFtool Flasher generates good for.
The firmware dump only contains the important bits of the firmware such as calibration data etc… if you had a copy of the full firmware, you could technically copy your important bits to that firmware file but there’s no point as the current firmware flashing method does not overwrite or alter these bits anyway. Therefore the dump isn’t needed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
moltikon

Post by moltikon »

Related to the above, is there a way to perform a real and complete dump of the firmware so it can be restored to another device?

A replacement BW-16D1HT is on its way to me and I am wondering if I can grab 3.11 from it and flash the drive I am returning.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

moltikon wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:00 pm
Related to the above, is there a way to perform a real and complete dump of the firmware so it can be restored to another device?

A replacement BW-16D1HT is on its way to me and I am wondering if I can grab 3.11 from it and flash the drive I am returning.
Not that I know of. Full firmware dumps were blocked from being done about 3 years ago. I think it can still be done on drives with firmware older than 2020.
moltikon

Post by moltikon »

Too bad.

Anyhow, thank you for all your help and sharing your knowledge. This was very valuable information.