usage.txt is out of date

All topics related to functioning of this forum or MakeMKV website
KlfJoat

usage.txt is out of date

Post by KlfJoat »

While trying to use the https://www.makemkv.com/developers/usage.txt documentation, I notice that it is out-of-date or wrong in at least one section, and unclear in other sections, on the copy of `makemkvcon` I'm running: x86_64 Linux v1.17.4.

Using `--robot`, `TINFO:` and `SINFO:` are not followed by 3 simple comma-separated values.

For me, the lines are more like...

Code: Select all

TINFO:tnum,id,code,value
SINFO:tnum,snum,id,code,value
Where `tnum` is the 0-indexed number of the current title and `snum` is the 0-indexed number of the current MKV stream in that title.

Also, it's not clear on the `usage.txt` page with all of the 0-indexing, but the `TCOUNT` title count is 1-indexed.

I'm unclear on the implications of using `--noscan`. In my experience, it prevents the `DRV` lines from showing the disc title, but that's not apparent from `usage.txt`. What else does it affect that I might not have noticed?

Those are just the things that are obvious to me, a makemkvcon novice. I hope a refresh can be provided at some point.

Thanks for a great tool!
flojo

Re: usage.txt is out of date

Post by flojo »

Assuming you mean for printing, I'm guessing that --noscan effectively bypasses a call to most function(s) used with "makemkvcon info". Being that using the "info" option is seemingly more complete, I use that after a rip with --noscan.

To me, "info" along with "--progress=-same" is all you really need but, it would be nice if it calculated a hash along the way. I know the GUI source is available but not sure about the console version (maybe it's mixed in).

NOTE: note the irony that the command "info" has no info at all :-P.
KlfJoat

Post by KlfJoat »

flojo wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:07 pm
I'm guessing that --noscan
And there's my point... you and I are guessing.
usage.txt wrote:Don't access any media during disc scan
I don't know the difference between "accessing media" and "disc scan" to be able to accurately interpret this description.

But when I do

Code: Select all

makemkvcon --robot --messages="${robotinfo}" --noscan info disc:0
I know I get different output than when I run it without `--noscan`.

This matters to me because I have multiple Blu-ray drives in my system, and I am making a full auto-rip suite that uses them all. So when I read that `--noscan` is "Helpful when other applications [are] already accessing discs in other drives," I think it's something I should use. The implication is that when MakeMKV starts up, even if you're just doing an `info disc:0`, it will also access `disc:1` for some reason. If that disc is already being backed up by a different instance of `makemkvcon`, it might block drive access or perform a drive access, slowing the backup if you don't use `--noscan info`.
flojo wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:07 pm
NOTE: note the irony that the command "info" has no info at all :-P.
That just makes me assume that it will show me all of the info it can.
flojo

Post by flojo »

So what is the problem and desired fix?
KlfJoat

Post by KlfJoat »

I've found another case where in one place the output is 0-indexed and in another it's 1-indexed.

`MSG:3307`, field 7 counts title numbers from 0.

`MSG:4007`, field 7 counts title numbers from 1.

Is there some reference I'm missing?