My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Post Reply
haysey70
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pm

My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by haysey70 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:51 pm

So straight up, I accept it's my own mistake and I didn't do my homework properly and didn't read this forum properly. But as a newbie to UHD I am now even more confused so after trawling through this forum I thought I'd just ask.

After doing some initial reading on LibreDrive and what drives etc. are "Friendly" etc. and spotting this post - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 856#p79712 I wrongly read / misunderstood that as there was an MK Firmware in the Supported List (ASUS-BW-16D1H-U-A204-WM01001-211901041044) and in Mike's post recommending Asus BW-16* series drives I could use an Asus BW-16D1H-U Pro External USB with MakeMKV for UHD discs. After purchasing one and before trying to do anything else with it and doing some more reading on this forum realised I've made a blunder. My mistake, not blaming anyone but myself. However the more reading I'm doing the more I get myself confused.

I have seen posts, thankfully before making even more a mess of it trying to adjust firmware on it etc. that the BW-16D1H-U is not UHD / Libre capable. Here is where my confusion is. There is clearly an MK Firmware with the name ASUS-BW-16D1H-U-A204-WM01001-211901041044 in the MK Firmware pack which is said to be "Supported"?
I have also seen other posts suggesting the BW-16D1H-U does not support BDXL which according to the retail box of the product it clearly says it does have "BDXL Support." So just my lack of knowledge but if someone could set me straight I'd greatly appreciate the advice.

I have been using MakeMKV on my iMac for a few years already so (I can still use the Asus for normal Blu Ray's and it's faster the the Pioneer drive I did have so not a total loss) am keen to start doing the same with UHD Blu Ray but now don't trust myself in reading the info here properly so am now turning to those here who are far more expert then I am as to my next steps and what drives etc. to get I can use on my iMac which will do the job so I don't rob myself of another $200+.
(I do have access to Windows PC's to do firmware etc. tasks.)

Thanks everyone in advance for your patience,


The list below shows all currently known firmware versions for which LibreDrive support is (or is not) possible.
Code: Select all

SDF v0061, total 232 firmwares

supported - MK firmware: 35 firmware(s):
ASUS-BC-12B1ST_b-3.01-WM00900-211711291725
ASUS-BC-12D2HT-3.01-WM00900-211711151926
ASUS-BW-16D1H-U-A204-WM01001-211901041044

SamuriHL
Posts: 1114
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by SamuriHL » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:28 am

Don't know the specifics of this drive, but, I wanted to clear up one point of confusion. LibreDrive compatibility does *NOT* automatically mean UHD compatibility. Do not confuse the two.

st4evr
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by st4evr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:27 am

Additionally, read the stickies in the forum. They are there for a reason and will provide a lot of important information on this. In this case, specifically this one:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

The drives recommended there are the ones best suited for this. I would recommend sticking to the first 6 on that list. Want an external? Buy one of the enclosures also recommended there and be done with it.

If you still feel that you are not up to the task, contact one of the forum members whom provide drive services—and some are also listed in that sticky guide—and they can provide ready to go drives.

Those same services are also discussed here in detail:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by MartyMcNuts » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:29 am

haysey70 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:51 pm
So straight up, I accept it's my own mistake and I didn't do my homework properly and didn't read this forum properly. But as a newbie to UHD I am now even more confused so after trawling through this forum I thought I'd just ask.

After doing some initial reading on LibreDrive and what drives etc. are "Friendly" etc. and spotting this post - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 856#p79712 I wrongly read / misunderstood that as there was an MK Firmware in the Supported List (ASUS-BW-16D1H-U-A204-WM01001-211901041044) and in Mike's post recommending Asus BW-16* series drives I could use an Asus BW-16D1H-U Pro External USB with MakeMKV for UHD discs. After purchasing one and before trying to do anything else with it and doing some more reading on this forum realised I've made a blunder. My mistake, not blaming anyone but myself. However the more reading I'm doing the more I get myself confused.

I have seen posts, thankfully before making even more a mess of it trying to adjust firmware on it etc. that the BW-16D1H-U is not UHD / Libre capable. Here is where my confusion is. There is clearly an MK Firmware with the name ASUS-BW-16D1H-U-A204-WM01001-211901041044 in the MK Firmware pack which is said to be "Supported"?
I have also seen other posts suggesting the BW-16D1H-U does not support BDXL which according to the retail box of the product it clearly says it does have "BDXL Support." So just my lack of knowledge but if someone could set me straight I'd greatly appreciate the advice.

I have been using MakeMKV on my iMac for a few years already so (I can still use the Asus for normal Blu Ray's and it's faster the the Pioneer drive I did have so not a total loss) am keen to start doing the same with UHD Blu Ray but now don't trust myself in reading the info here properly so am now turning to those here who are far more expert then I am as to my next steps and what drives etc. to get I can use on my iMac which will do the job so I don't rob myself of another $200+.
(I do have access to Windows PC's to do firmware etc. tasks.)

Thanks everyone in advance for your patience,


The list below shows all currently known firmware versions for which LibreDrive support is (or is not) possible.
Code: Select all

SDF v0061, total 232 firmwares

supported - MK firmware: 35 firmware(s):
ASUS-BC-12B1ST_b-3.01-WM00900-211711291725
ASUS-BC-12D2HT-3.01-WM00900-211711151926
ASUS-BW-16D1H-U-A204-WM01001-211901041044
I'm certain that that external case actually has a Pioneer drive inside. If you open it up, you will no for sure. And as has been mentioned before, LibreDrive does not equal UHD compatibility.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

haysey70
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by haysey70 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 am

Thanks for clearing up some of my incorrect thinking. A costly mistake on my behalf.

Here's what MakeMKV says about the drive in Mac OS X version.

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk2

Current profile: BD-ROM

Manufacturer: ASUS

Product: BW-16D1H-U

Revision: E114

Serial number: xxxxx

Firmware date: 2017-12-21

Bus encryption flags: 1B

Highest AACS version: 66



LibreDrive Information
Status: Might be supported in future, keep fingers crossed

Drive platform: Pioneer RS8601

Firmware version: ID71

I have seen comments that the Pioneer drives don't have BDXL support but the retail box clearly states BDXL Support?

haysey70
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by haysey70 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:29 am

Gee, I think I'm going to give up. Trying to do my homework, but it's not easy when you see stuff like this out there. Just thought I'd share this you all in case it ever comes up again. The last drive on the list below.......... As you have all pointed out to me is a Pioneer so shouldn't be on this list. Glad I came here first rather then this site.

Out of interest I downloaded a demo of their software and it does say my drive isn't UHD friendly, but again if this info helps someone else not make the mistake I made.
Their process for the external drive was to take it out of the case and plug it into a SATA slot on a PC to do the firmware downgrade. They even have a page with instructions on how to take the drive apart.

See:- https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-drive-tool.htm

As of now, the supported drive list contains the following drives:

UHD friendly drives:

LG WH14NS40 (internal, SVC code: NS50) Tested
LG WH16NS40 (internal, SVC code: NS50) Tested
LG BH16NS40 (internal, SVC code: NS50) Tested
LG UH12NS40 (internal) Tested
LG BH16NS55 (internal) Tested
LG BH14NS58 (internal) Tested
LG BH16NS58 (internal) Tested
LG WH16NS58 (internal) Tested
LG BE16NU50 (external, USB) Tested
ASUS BC-12B1ST a/b (internal, manufactured 2015+) Tested for a
ASUS BC-12D2HT (internal, manufactured 2015+) Tested
ASUS BW-16D1HT a/b (internal, manufactured 2015+) Tested
ASUS BW-16D1H-U (external, USB, manufactured 2015+)

mike admin
Posts: 3640
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 am
Contact:

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by mike admin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:35 pm

haysey70 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 am
Revision: E114

Serial number: xxxxx

Drive platform: Pioneer RS8601

Firmware version: ID71
This is a Pioneer drive. It is likely to be LibreDrive supported, possibly with some restrictions.
haysey70 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 am
I have seen comments that the Pioneer drives don't have BDXL support but the retail box clearly states BDXL Support?
Can the drive physically read (not decrypt) UHD disc?

Billycar11
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by Billycar11 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:43 pm

mike admin wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:35 pm
haysey70 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 am
Revision: E114

Serial number: xxxxx

Drive platform: Pioneer RS8601

Firmware version: ID71
This is a Pioneer drive. It is likely to be LibreDrive supported, possibly with some restrictions.
haysey70 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 am
I have seen comments that the Pioneer drives don't have BDXL support but the retail box clearly states BDXL Support?
Can the drive physically read (not decrypt) UHD disc?
that's why i was very confused about this https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 595#p79451

haysey70
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by haysey70 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:58 pm

mike admin wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:35 pm
haysey70 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 am
Revision: E114

Serial number: xxxxx

Drive platform: Pioneer RS8601

Firmware version: ID71
This is a Pioneer drive. It is likely to be LibreDrive supported, possibly with some restrictions.
haysey70 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 am
I have seen comments that the Pioneer drives don't have BDXL support but the retail box clearly states BDXL Support?
Can the drive physically read (not decrypt) UHD disc?
When I put a UHD disc in it tries to spin up a few times then just says no disc loaded.

Blackened2687
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:21 pm

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by Blackened2687 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:47 pm

haysey70 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 am
Revision: E114

Serial number: xxxxx

Drive platform: Pioneer RS8601

Firmware version: ID71
It's a BDR-209MBK in ASUS enclosure. It has the same hardware as BDR-211MBK (supporting UHD), but the firmware compatibility is untested yet.

Is it possible for you to connect the drive to a Windows machine and run a small utility I've made? I need to dump some data from this drive in order to add its support to my upcoming Pioneer drive flashing tool.

Thanks in advance!

haysey70
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by haysey70 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:25 am

It's a BDR-209MBK in ASUS enclosure. It has the same hardware as BDR-211MBK (supporting UHD), but the firmware compatibility is untested yet.

Is it possible for you to connect the drive to a Windows machine and run a small utility I've made? I need to dump some data from this drive in order to add its support to my upcoming Pioneer drive flashing tool.

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

HI,
Sorry, I haven't looked at the forum for a few days and have only just seen your question. Yes. I certainly can connect it to a Windows machine. Via USB only though as I only have access to a Windows laptop running Windows 10 or an iMac running Windows 7 Pro. More then happy to try and help you out if I can.

Blackened2687
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:21 pm

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by Blackened2687 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:35 pm

haysey70 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:25 am

Sorry, I haven't looked at the forum for a few days and have only just seen your question. Yes. I certainly can connect it to a Windows machine. Via USB only though as I only have access to a Windows laptop running Windows 10 or an iMac running Windows 7 Pro. More then happy to try and help you out if I can.
Thank you very much! Please check your PMs. :wink:

BlueMac77
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 pm
Contact:

Re: My mistake, Asus BD-16D1H-U Pro

Post by BlueMac77 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:07 am

haysey70 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 am
Thanks for clearing up some of my incorrect thinking. A costly mistake on my behalf.

Here's what MakeMKV says about the drive in Mac OS X version.

I have seen comments that the Pioneer drives don't have BDXL support but the retail box clearly states BDXL Support?
The Pioneer retail box with the text, BDXL Support meant that their drives can write to multi-layered Blu-ray Discs of 50gb, 128gb. It was not meant to read 4K UHD movie discs. The Pioneer BDR-211 and the new BDR-212 can only playback 4K UHD discs but they cannot rip 4K UHD with MakeMKV. But with 1080p blu-ray ripping, these Pioneer drives works perfectly with MakeMKV

Post Reply