libredrive bypass bus encryption?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
thetoad

libredrive bypass bus encryption?

Post by thetoad »

Not that it matters in the context of MakeMKV, but for discs I have that are scratched and unable to be fully read easily, bypassing bus encryption would be useful for making ddrescue images of them especially if one tries to read different portions on different machines.
mike admin

Re: libredrive bypass bus encryption?

Post by mike admin »

Yes. The moment you see "Using LibreDrive mode" message, bus encryption is disabled (for the current disc only!). You can even close MakeMKV and use dd or anything else to copy the files.

Note, that this has some drawbacks. Your drive would still report that drive supports bus encryption (as it is, LibreDrive code does not meddle with AACS) and some applications might think that sectors might need to be decrypted, while bus encryption was in fact not applied.

The disc would be in this state until you eject it.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

this is very useful for trying to recover broken discs (where one might use multiple copies to fill in the blanks). Is it possible for you to add a command line option to makemkvcon to basically say ("insert libredrive, but don't do anything else) so I can then just use ddrescue.

i.e. today for DVDs my workflow is lsdvd /dev/dvd && ddrescue /dev/dvd NAME.ISO NAME.log this could be similar. (as you probably know, in the DVD case, lsdvd authenticates the disc for RPC2 drives enabling them to be fully read so the ISO can be then decrypted via CSS brute force decrypters (vlc will play it as is), though it doesn't quite help for small VOB files as dont have enough data to brute force the CSS, but in practice those don't matter so much)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

thetoad wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:44 pm
Is it possible for you to add a command line option to makemkvcon to basically say ("insert libredrive, but don't do anything else) so I can then just use ddrescue.
"makemkvcon info" will do just that.
xmh10000

Post by xmh10000 »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm
thetoad wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:44 pm
Is it possible for you to add a command line option to makemkvcon to basically say ("insert libredrive, but don't do anything else) so I can then just use ddrescue.
"makemkvcon info" will do just that.
Hi, this command seems don't trigger LibreDrive mode in my Linux environment (I'm using Debian/testing), I'm using the latest MakeMKV version from this post (currently 1.17.6).
On Windows and macOS, the LibreDrive mode can be triggered on the same optical drive successfully ("Using LibreDrive mode" is shown in the console), so I am wondering if this is a problem on Linux or I've missed something?

Info from Linux MakeMKV GUI: (Without performing any further operation, just plug in the USB cable and insert a disk)

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXX
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 11:42
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 61

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: INCEPTION
Timestamp: 2017-11-13 16:59:12
Protection: AACS2.0/C v61
Data capacity: 92.55 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80

Errors from "makemkvcon info" command in Linux: (I didn't see "Using LibreDrive mode" in the console)

Code: Select all

user@my-laptop:~$ sudo makemkvcon info dev:/dev/sr0
MakeMKV v1.17.6 linux(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..03F to device 'SG:dev_21:0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..03F to device 'SG:dev_21:0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..07F to device 'SG:dev_21:0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..07F to device 'SG:dev_21:0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..0FF to device 'SG:dev_21:0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..0FF to device 'SG:dev_21:0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..002000800 to device 'SG:dev_21:0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SG:dev_21:0'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Saved AACS dump file as file:///root/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v61_Inception_E1D5.tgz
LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted.
Failed to open disc
Total 0 titles
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

There a few issues with some fw on Linux
Put your bu40n to 1.00 and that should fix it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
xmh10000

Post by xmh10000 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:30 pm
There a few issues with some fw on Linux
Put your bu40n to 1.00 and that should fix it
It works without errors after downgrading to 1.00! Thanks for your advice!