Custom firmware

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Landcross
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:28 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by Landcross » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:28 pm

So, I have the Asus 16D1HT. Is it recommend to stay on official 3.02, or should I update to MakeMKV's 3.10?
If I use MakeMKV's 3.10, will other software aside from MakeMKV still be able to read UHD discs like with 3.02?

SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm

With the MK 3.10 version, the so-called sleep bug is fixed, it seems to be quieter while reading discs, and yes, it still remains friendly thanks to Mike's excellent work. I've upgraded mine to the MK 3.10 version and will be leaving it there.

Atlas2000
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by Atlas2000 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:36 pm

Hello have a LG BH16NS55 where converted into Asus BW-16D1HT firmware 3.02 and LibreDrive is. Also works with the monkey and Makemkv perfect.
Is super, except for the sleep bug, how do I get the way and with what tool I can flashless flawlessly

Warm greetings from Germany
Last edited by Atlas2000 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike admin
Posts: 3843
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 am
Contact:

Re: Custom firmware

Post by mike admin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:40 pm

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm
With the MK 3.10 version, the so-called sleep bug is fixed, it seems to be quieter while reading discs, and yes, it still remains friendly thanks to Mike's excellent work. I've upgraded mine to the MK 3.10 version and will be leaving it there.
For me it seemed to be much more stable at reading 3-layer discs as well. Maybe just a perception, but I think we really should say a big "Thank you" to Asus this update...

SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:58 pm

mike admin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:40 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm
With the MK 3.10 version, the so-called sleep bug is fixed, it seems to be quieter while reading discs, and yes, it still remains friendly thanks to Mike's excellent work. I've upgraded mine to the MK 3.10 version and will be leaving it there.
For me it seemed to be much more stable at reading 3-layer discs as well. Maybe just a perception, but I think we really should say a big "Thank you" to Asus this update...
I think you're correct about that. Yes, thanks to ASUS, however, this firmware would be completely useless to us without your awesome work, so, BIG thanks to you for making this a viable firmware release!

SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Atlas2000 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:36 pm
Hello have a LG BH16NS55 where converted into Asus BW-16D1HT firmware 3.02 and LibreDrive is. Also works with the monkey and Makemkv perfect. Have a picture in the attachment where you can see it beautiful.
Is super, except for the sleep bug, how do I get the way and with what tool I can flashless flawlessly

Warm greetings from Germany
If you get Mike's custom firmware pack, you will find the MK 3.10 firmware bin in there. You can then flash that with the modified ASUS or LG windows flasher and you'll be good to go.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113

viewtopic.php?p=70766#p70766

Atlas2000
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by Atlas2000 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:29 am

Many thanks to SamuriHL for the great tip.
And to Mike for the possibility of the 3.10 firmware.

Many Thanks

rbmcgee
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by rbmcgee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 am

I've got an:
LG WH14NS40
SVC Code: NS50
Firmware: 1.03
Manuf. Date: 12/17

I just happened to have this drive and had nothing to do with 4k discs when I bought it.

I've only got 1 4k disc and no 4k display, but I figure what the hey.

Should I be aiming at this 3.10 firmware or is this for Asus drives only?

Billycar11
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Custom firmware

Post by Billycar11 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:45 am

rbmcgee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 am
I've got an:
LG WH14NS40
SVC Code: NS50
Firmware: 1.03
Manuf. Date: 12/17

I just happened to have this drive and had nothing to do with 4k discs when I bought it.

I've only got 1 4k disc and no 4k display, but I figure what the hey.

Should I be aiming at this 3.10 firmware or is this for Asus drives only?
that or go WH16NS60 DE 1.00 or MK 1.01

rbmcgee
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by rbmcgee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:50 am

mike seems to really like the 3.10. Are there pros/cons to each of these 3 options.

I absolutely don't want to lose any of the current functionality.

Which one would you recommend if you were in my shoes?

Billycar11
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Custom firmware

Post by Billycar11 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:15 am

rbmcgee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:50 am
mike seems to really like the 3.10. Are there pros/cons to each of these 3 options.

I absolutely don't want to lose any of the current functionality.

Which one would you recommend if you were in my shoes?
i haven't tried the 3.10 personally yet but mike says it has no sleep bug so i consider it the same for cross flashing as ns60 because crossflashed with either you still cant officially play back uhd only the ns60 can do that

advantages over lg 1.03:
faster read speeds
no sleep bug

disadvantages:
possibly unable to burn media with out dos flash method i am confused by this my self have not tested.
source:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832&p=71116&hilit=burn#p71096

rbmcgee
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by rbmcgee » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:05 am

Yeah, that sounds a little too scary and I'm not enough of a technogeek to even understand what's being discussed in that thread. I guess I'll just hold off until things become clearer and easier for me to understand.

Is DE 1.00 or MK 1.01 safer for me?

Billycar11
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Custom firmware

Post by Billycar11 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:14 am

rbmcgee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:05 am
Yeah, that sounds a little too scary and I'm not enough of a technogeek to even understand what's being discussed in that thread. I guess I'll just hold off until things become clearer and easier for me to understand.

Is DE 1.00 or MK 1.01 safer for me?
probably but even if that were to happen all you do is flash to your drive to mk 1.03 or de 1.02 of your model number and it would be fixed -1 dead disk

SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by SamuriHL » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Billycar11 wrote:
rbmcgee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:50 am
mike seems to really like the 3.10. Are there pros/cons to each of these 3 options.

I absolutely don't want to lose any of the current functionality.

Which one would you recommend if you were in my shoes?
i haven't tried the 3.10 personally yet but mike says it has no sleep bug so i consider it the same for cross flashing as ns60 because crossflashed with either you still cant officially play back uhd only the ns60 can do that

advantages over lg 1.03:
faster read speeds
no sleep bug

disadvantages:
possibly unable to burn media with out dos flash method i am confused by this my self have not tested.
source:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832&p=71116&hilit=burn#p71096
I think I should do one more test on this as someone else flashed their ns60 with the Asus firmware and they were able to burn. I know what they did different from me so I want to try it and see. The 3.10 mk firmware is the best I've seen yet for any drive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk



SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Custom firmware

Post by SamuriHL » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:02 pm

Tried again, this time using the ASUS flasher that Marty put together, and I still can't write to my Verbatim discs with my NS60 and the ASUS 3.10 MK firmware. If I dosflash it using my calibration data extracted from my ASUS drive, it works fine, but, just cross flashing with a Windows flasher still gives me write problems. UGH.

Post Reply