I'm sorry, I can't figure out this Libredrive thing.

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Billycar11

Re: I'm sorry, I can't figure out this Libredrive thing.

Post by Billycar11 »

MechaDangerous wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:22 am
I'm not gonna lie I'm actually terrified of spending $80 on a drive and flashing more firmware provided by this site that has already bricked my current drive.

Understandably according to you it was due to the age/manufacture of my drive, but none the less it left a very bad taste in my mouth.
or this service from me
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17831
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

What about the LG WH14NS40? The firmware pack already has the firmware included for that drive. I can handle flashing it myself at this point, my only issue is that my current drive couldn't handle it. I assume the LG WH14NS40 can handle it then? Plus it's $30 cheaper than the ASUS BW-16D1HT.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MechaDangerous wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:44 am
What about the LG WH14NS40? The firmware pack already has the firmware included for that drive. I can handle flashing it myself at this point, my only issue is that my current drive couldn't handle it. I assume the LG WH14NS40 can handle it then? Plus it's $30 cheaper than the ASUS BW-16D1HT.
yeah as long an it is 2015+ and has svc ns50
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

Fuck it, I ordered the BW-16D1HT as recommended by st4evr.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's a great drive. I love mine.

I'm sorry that your current drive got bricked. That massively sucks. I absolutely hate that LG released two versions of the same drive. I had only seen the request for the link to the flash tool and wasn't looking at what you were trying to flash. Sigh

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Whatever you get, ensure it’s from a trusted seller that will sell/send you new drive. Do not buy second hand used drives. I’ve seen way too many people get burned that way when they end up receiving an old incompatible second hand drive from some random scammer on ebay. That 2015+ manufactured date applies to all compatible drives being discussed in this forum regardless of the vendor/manufacturer/brand. Buying a new drive now a days ensures the manufacture date is at least 2018 with the newer required firmware.
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

I bought it from Amazon, so I assume it's a new drive. I'm sure there's a way I can tell once I get the drive? I'm a pretty technical person and even work in IT, but this sort of thing has been so far out of my realm it's crazy.
MechaDangerous

Post by MechaDangerous »

I understand you want the business, but reading your thread didn't even give a price, and this was something I needed rather quickly. I don't know your presence on the site so I don't know how fast you would have responded and/or even sent out a drive, let alone how much you were charging on top of the price of the drive.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

MechaDangerous wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:37 am
I'm sure there's a way I can tell once I get the drive?
After you install the drive and open up MakeMKV, the information window should look something like this:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19116&p=72276&hili ... S55#p72276

You want to see that exact drive model number with 3.00+ firmware listed. Need second pair of eyes? Post the information here as that other member did for someone to review and advise again if needed.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

MechaDangerous wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:22 am
I'm not gonna lie I'm actually terrified of spending $80 on a drive and flashing more firmware provided by this site that has already bricked my current drive.

Understandably according to you it was due to the age/manufacture of my drive, but none the less it left a very bad taste in my mouth.
how can you be mad at anyone here or at the software itself, the fact that there is so so much info on this site regarding flashing and compatable vs non compatable, old version vs new version?

the fact that you didnt do your due dilligence and did some reading on your own, the only one to blame is yourself!

no one clicked the update firmware button for you!

your drive is bricked because it is too old and you didnt research it first and flashed incompatable firmware, plain and simple!
Chasetheace

Post by Chasetheace »

Sorry to here about your drive, I hope but I just purchased one of ebay with version 3.10 and it works perfect with libredrive and it was only £69.99.

Can not be bad at that price and the user I think asmcom offered me 1 year warranty and spoke very highly of this site and Mike.

I am only saying you don't get this service with Amazon for brand new drive.

I am glad you got new drive and this site rocks
plittlefield

Post by plittlefield »

Yes, I too have purchased from asmcom on ebay and his reputation is second to none... an absolute star who goes out of his way to make sure you are happy with the product. I have bought the ASUS BW-16D1HT with v3.01 firmware already patched and works a treat so far. I have also bought the LG WH16NS40 Firmware downgrade service from asmcom as a backup drive.
Brewtrooper

Post by Brewtrooper »

Hi, this is my first post, so please bare with me.

I have an ASUS 1.0 drive like the OP. Am I able to update the firmware on this drive, or do I need to get another drive? Below is the drive information from MakeMKV
  • Drive Information
    OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
    Current profile: DVD+R
    Manufacturer: ASUS
    Product: BC-12B1ST b
    Revision: 1.00
    Serial number: K9BE39D0550
    Firmware date: 2113-06-14 11:58
    Bus encryption flags: 1E
    Highest AACS version: 63

LibreDrive Information
    Drive platform: MT1939
    Harware support: Yes
    Firmware support: No
    Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
    Firmware version: 1.00
    DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
    BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
    BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
    Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
I definitely don't want to brick my drive as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brewtrooper
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Brewtrooper wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:40 am

I have an ASUS 1.0 drive like the OP. Am I able to update the firmware on this drive, or do I need to get another drive? Below is the drive information from MakeMKV
What to do and what not to do and why has been very clearly discussed in the first page on this thread. Don’t jump to the end of a thread and post without reading. Many of these post will provide the answers and correct instructions very clearly. You can avoid the same mistake, frustration, and headache the original poster went through simply by taking the time to read what is already available in this forum.

But ok, lets reiterate this. No, if you flash that drive you will brick it.

Get a new drive and read the stickies and guides across the forum. They are there for a good reason.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
blazin912

Post by blazin912 »

So I'm looking to do this similar action with my old bc-b1st factory id b. Manufacturing date is May 2012. Sounds like I'm SOL to use this thing for ripping? I used to use it a few years ago to rip, but as I circle back to things it looks like the drive is no longer useful in any way. True? Untrue?

I wish I could get a new drive for the same price. It was purchased for less than $50 from Newegg on some super sale.