Just flashed LG WH16NS60

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Dave77

Just flashed LG WH16NS60

Post by Dave77 »

Hi,

I've just flashed my LG WH16NS60 with 'HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.01-NM00100-211711202000' and all seemed to go well. The drive got halfway through a BD backup then crashed and is now not recognised by my laptop. Anyone any ideas on what to do?
SamuriHL

Re: Just flashed LG WH16NS60

Post by SamuriHL »

That's extremely odd. If it started the backup then the flash was successful. I assume this is in some kind of external case, right? And you've power cycled the drive?
Dave77

Post by Dave77 »

Yeah an OWC Mercury Pro case, I've tried a different cable.

If I reboot laptop and drive it picks it up again. MakeMKV runs for ~8 mins then the drive seems to shutdown and not be recognised (Windows 10), makemkv then shows no available drives.

I've just flashed with the ASUS-BW-16D1HT firmware to see if that worked, ran for ~8 mins, then drive seemed to shutdown as before, then started back up again after a few minutes and completed fine.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That seems like a drive issue. I wonder if it's getting too hot in that case or something weird like that. I don't know on this one.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

I'm going to guess it is the power supply of the owc since it happened with 2 drives
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

I agree with Billy. It is probably the power supply.

I've read many comments about the Vantec enclosures not having enough power (2A) when reading discs but the OCW Mercury should be 3A, so you would think it should have enough power. Maybe not??

I've also read some comments about OWC Mercury having faulty power supplies.

Can you possibly slow down the read speed of the drive? That may help..

Here is a test for you to try. Use MakeMKV to get drive into LibreDrive mode, then use ImgBurn to rip disc at a slower (or the slowest) read speed and see if it still cuts out.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Dave77

Post by Dave77 »

The drive has been working fine with standard firmware and now runs fine with ASUS-BW-16D1HT firmware, wouldn't that indicate power is okay?
Dave77

Post by Dave77 »

Just flashed back to WH16NS60-1.01 to see if I could get a debug log and it worked fine :lol:
Dave77

Post by Dave77 »

This is weird, the drive seems fine with standard blu-ray, but as soon as I put in a UHD blu-ray (Ready Player One) it starts playing up. It recognises the disc and start ripping in makemkv but fails
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

As luck would have it, my 10+ year old BD drive finally died and so I picked up this drive yesterday.

This is what my information pane on the right side shows for Source BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD RE WH16NS60:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom3
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXX
Firmware date: 2117-11-20 20:00
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information

Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

Apparently, I am misunderstanding information posted elsewhere in the LibreDrive threads. For one thing, I was under the impression that this drive natively read UHD discs. However, I just placed a disc in and got the message that MakeMKV failed to open disc.

Disc Information
Label: Blade_Runner_2049
Timestamp: 2017-11-29 11:24:04
Data capacity: 83.57 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80

Secondly, as is clear under the LibreDrive section this drive is still apparently looking for a firmware patch. I could have sworn I read elsewhere that Firmware 1.01 was supported. Honestly, I am going through all the threads again, but I'm not finding the relevant conversation now. If there is a firmware alteration that needs to be made, is it just a matter of using a patcher to download one of Mike's MK firmware changes?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

You need to either use a DE 1.00 firmware or an MK 1.01 firmware. The LG factory 1.01 firmware removed vendor commands that Mike needs to enable LibreDrive. Hence why he released an MK version of it to restore said vendor commands.
TolkienBard

Post by TolkienBard »

That sorts it, thank you. The disc now opens and is in the process of ripping to my hard drive.
forstral

Post by forstral »

I have been looking all over for firmware links. I have the LG WH14NS40 with MT1959 rev. 1.03; I have seen where it has been suggested to crossflash the firmware to WH16NS60 rev. 1.00. Can someone direct me to a link for that firmware? I have googled and cannot find it anywhere.

Thank you so much for the help.

Also, I have built a new pc that does not have any expansions for optical drives; which external enclosure would you recommend for this drive?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's NOT enough information to safely flash that drive. You MUST ensure that it has the NS50 svc code on the sticker on the drive and that it was MFG'd after late 2015. IF both of those things are true, then you can safely flash it. Look for Mike's MK firmware pack stickied at the top of this sub-forum.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

forstral wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:36 am
I have been looking all over for firmware links. I have the LG WH14NS40 with MT1959 rev. 1.03; I have seen where it has been suggested to crossflash the firmware to WH16NS60 rev. 1.00. Can someone direct me to a link for that firmware? I have googled and cannot find it anywhere.
There is a sticky post at the top of this subforum, the same subforum you just posted in, titled “Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches” in bold letters. Come on now. All you have to do is take a few seconds to read. We can’t do that part for you.

And please do as SamuriHL advised before you go ahead and brick your drive.