Need help with LibreDrive, current threads a bit confusing

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
iFrog

Need help with LibreDrive, current threads a bit confusing

Post by iFrog »

Hi all,
I have been using MakeMKV for several years now, and am pleased to say I have paid for a license.

I am writing because I ran into an issue when I replaced my optical drive today.

For about 5 years I had been using a Pioneer BDR-XD05W (white, instead of black). It finally gave up the ghost last night, so today I picked up an LG BP50NB40 today at Best Buy which seems to work perfectly well.

My questions come in, when MakeMKV mentioned libreDrive. with the LG vs the Pioneer never mentioned anything about LibreDrive.

My main questions are:

1. Do I need to do anything to the drive firmware to get this to work, or is support automatically coming to MakeMKV in Future versions?
2. If I need to do something Is there something specific I need to do for this model not mentioned in the Video, or other threads?

I primarily use a Mac, however I do have VMWare Fusion, with Windows 10 Pro, and windows XP for VMs, so connecting the drive to a VM as a usb device is not an issue for flashing.

3. The other thing is, the drive seems to work without Libredrive active in MakeMKV, so do I even need to be concerned about any of this? I don't plan on ripping any UHD discs, and what I usually rip, is either DVD, or standard Blu-ray Disc.

I downloaded the MX firmware zip, and the peached flasher, and tried to flash the bin for my model in that collection. It just sat and did nothing for 5 minus. So I quit and came here to see if I missed something. The drive seems untouched, as the official flasher from LG still says it has the latest, or newer firmware then the version the flasher contains.

If someone could please guide me in the right direction, would be appreciated. Thanks!

System specs late 2015 iMac 27"
macOS 10.14.4 Mojave
MakeMKV 1.14.3

Below is the info from MakeMKV directly:

Drive Information
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP50NB40
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: SIM08J2A95932
Firmware date: 2117-11-23 16:15
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

No disc inserted

Thanks for the help, looking forward to replies.
flashback8

Re: Need help with LibreDrive, current threads a bit confusing

Post by flashback8 »

You're fine. MakeMKV will automatically handle everything.
iFrog

Re: Need help with LibreDrive, current threads a bit confusing

Post by iFrog »

flashback8 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:43 am
You're fine. MakeMKV will automatically handle everything.
Thank you, Just wanting to make sure I hadn't missed something. Now if MakeMKV could only remove protection from iTunes Movies and TV shows ;). Then I could play movies I DON'T have a disc for, on more devices.

Oh well, thanks for the feedback.