Flashed a WH16NS40, now it won't read disks

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Post Reply
babypuncher
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 am

Flashed a WH16NS40, now it won't read disks

Post by babypuncher » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:38 am

MakeMKV looks like it's reading the disk for about half a second then it just says "No disk inserted". I get this on Blu-Rays and DVDs.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: SIK9GE3C8195
Firmware date: 2117-11-21 16:53
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

No disc inserted

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Flashed a WH16NS40, now it won't read disks

Post by MartyMcNuts » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:46 am

babypuncher wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:38 am
MakeMKV looks like it's reading the disk for about half a second then it just says "No disk inserted". I get this on Blu-Rays and DVDs.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: SIK9GE3C8195
Firmware date: 2117-11-21 16:53
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

No disc inserted
How old is your drive? Does it say SVC: NS50 on the label?

babypuncher
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 am

Re: Flashed a WH16NS40, now it won't read disks

Post by babypuncher » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:00 am

Pretty old (I got it in 2015), it does not say SVC: NS50 on the label.

Billycar11
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Flashed a WH16NS40, now it won't read disks

Post by Billycar11 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:43 am

babypuncher wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:00 am
Pretty old (I got it in 2015), it does not say SVC: NS50 on the label.
urf then you are going to need ns40 firmware and dosflash to fix it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXgybNfHhcg
follow that video but use ns40 firmware
also here is written dosflash guide : https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=17058

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Flashed a WH16NS40, now it won't read disks

Post by MartyMcNuts » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:53 am

babypuncher wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:00 am
Pretty old (I got it in 2015), it does not say SVC: NS50 on the label.
Yep, as Billy said. That drive is too old and is not UHD compatible.

babypuncher
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 am

Re: Flashed a WH16NS40, now it won't read disks

Post by babypuncher » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Thanks, fortunately this is just an old drive that I don’t care much for and felt like experimenting with. Does anyone know where I can get the appropriate firmware file for my drive?

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Flashed a WH16NS40, now it won't read disks

Post by MartyMcNuts » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:49 pm

babypuncher wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:18 pm
Thanks, fortunately this is just an old drive that I don’t care much for and felt like experimenting with. Does anyone know where I can get the appropriate firmware file for my drive?
Here you go.
LG_WH16NS40_(NS40)_1.02_Original_Dump.bin.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 123 times

SamuriHL
Posts: 940
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Flashed a WH16NS40, now it won't read disks

Post by SamuriHL » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:20 am

But again, you can't just flash that firmware with the Windows tools. You will need to dump your existing firmware with dosflash, use the datamover tool to move your encryption and calibration data from that extracted firmware into the firmware that Marty just provided, and then use dosflash to flash the newly created firmware. If you deviate from that process it could permanently brick the drive.

Post Reply