Do I have to worry about this message?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
baronluigi

Do I have to worry about this message?

Post by baronluigi »

I have 2 ASUS BC12D2HT drives. One has a 3.00 firmware and the other is 3.01.

I have been getting this message recently, while the program anaylises the disc inside (when using the drive with the newest firmware).

"LibreDrive firmware support is not yet available for this drive (id=8CE8A0CE1C79)"

The thing is that,the programs works perfectly besides this. It is able to analyse the disc properly, and to finish the rip with no more complications.

So, do I have to worry about the resulting mkv files? (I mean, I have played them and they seem fine. However, I am afraid that there could be any freezes or glitches, at some point.
)
Thanks.
mike admin

Re: Do I have to worry about this message?

Post by mike admin »

No, it means that the drive is capable, but not yet enabled in LibreDrive mode. So you don't get a LibreDrive experience, but your drive works as it should (until the next AACS revocation happens).
baronluigi

Post by baronluigi »

Sorry for updating this thread, after so many months.

First of all, thanks for you answer.

I have been reading several threads and post regarding Libredrive, and I managed to create a picture of what it is about. It looks like Libedrive allows you to make 1:1 copyes from Bluray and UHD discs. Am I correct?

Basically, it is something similar I used to do in the past, combining IMGBURN and XVREVEAL. This program works like anydvd, canceling the protections on the fly and then, allowing to make copies through programs like IMGBURN, which is unable to copy encrypted disks by itself.

http://www.yubsoft.com/xreveal/

The main doubt that I still have is the following: If I decide not to update the current firmware of my drives and keep using makemkv as usual...Is there any kind of data that it won´t be able to rip? I mean, if I decide to make a complete backup of a disc...will the resulting backup have either missing content (clips, video files) or data?

Thanks.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

baronluigi wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:25 pm
I have been reading several threads and post regarding Libredrive, and I managed to create a picture of what it is about. It looks like Libedrive allows you to make 1:1 copyes from Bluray and UHD discs. Am I correct?

Basically, it is something similar I used to do in the past, combining IMGBURN and XVREVEAL. This program works like anydvd, canceling the protections on the fly and then, allowing to make copies through programs like IMGBURN, which is unable to copy encrypted disks by itself.
No. Your assumption is incorrect. Read this thread:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... art#p75925

And this:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=18856

It’s very clearly detailed by Mike himself what Libredrive is for on that second thread. It is not a magic pill for all AACS decryption. In short, it primarily only touches part of the AACS process, which is host revocation. If you are unsure what that means, Google is your friend and the forum search function works as well. This has been detailed and discussed outside that detailed thread from Mike as well many times over already.

However, yes, MakeMKV decrypts AACS content like many other similar programs out there. Albeit it may not have some of the same features/functionality of other apps (e.g. the AnyDVD background decryption feature you mention).
baronluigi

Post by baronluigi »

st4evr wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:50 pm
baronluigi wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:25 pm

No. Your assumption is incorrect. Read this thread:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... art#p75925

And this:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=18856

It’s very clearly detailed by Mike himself what Libredrive is for on that second thread. It is not a magic pill for all AACS decryption. In short, it primarily only touches part of the AACS process, which is host revocation. If you are unsure what that means, Google is your friend and the forum search function works as well. This has been detailed and discussed outside that detailed thread from Mike as well many times over already.

However, yes, MakeMKV decrypts AACS content like many other similar programs out there. Albeit it may not have some of the same features/functionality of other apps (e.g. the AnyDVD background decryption feature you mention).
Thanks for your answer. I think that I have understand it better now. However, in short, could you tell me what features would I miss if I decide not to install a Libredrive firmware on my BDROMS (they are quite new and I would not like to brick them). With feature, I am reffering to things related to the copying process.

Thanks.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

mike admin wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 pm
No, it means that the drive is capable, but not yet enabled in LibreDrive mode. So you don't get a LibreDrive experience, but your drive works as it should (until the next AACS revocation happens).
Aside from the above, you have 2 identical drives... one LD-enabled, one not... have YOU noticed any difference in capabilities... using MakeMKV, or any other utility? You have an opportunity to test things most users do not.
baronluigi

Post by baronluigi »

d00zah wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:28 pm
mike admin wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 pm
Aside from the above, you have 2 identical drives... one LD-enabled, one not... have YOU noticed any difference in capabilities... using MakeMKV, or any other utility? You have an opportunity to test things most users do not.
I used the second one for a short period of time, did not give me any problems at all.

I still use it sometimes, connected to a USB SATA adaptator.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

baronluigi wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:43 pm
So, do I have to worry about the resulting mkv files? (I mean, I have played them and they seem fine. However, I am afraid that there could be any freezes or glitches, at some point.)
Probably not.