Disable LibreDrive

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
buttonmasher

Disable LibreDrive

Post by buttonmasher »

I've been trying to sort out what my options are for my LG bp50nb40 drive, and it looks like there are few.

I saw in one post that there are environment variables or installation switches that will allow me to disable LibreDrive during installation of MakeMKV. That said, I have found the installation switches to be non-existent, and I have (yet) to locate any documentation that indicates what these ENV variables might be.

can I get some help with either installation switches or the environment variables? I *really* don't want to purchase another drive when this one is still new.

--ButtonMasher
mike admin

Re: Disable LibreDrive

Post by mike admin »

Here are the instruction how to disable LibreDrive runtime for any particular drive. First, you have to figure out the drive id - open the log file and look for the string that lloks similar to "SDF v05c: ASUS_BC-12B1ST___b_3.00_211512151340_SIKxxxxxx". The single string containing drive name, version and serial number is your unique drive id. If you have multiple drives, then you'll have a string for each.

Once you know the drive name, you can tell MakeMKV to never touch this drive for LibreDrive purposes. The setting is a string that contains space-separated drive ids, with default value being an empty string.

There are 2 ways to pass this setting to MakeMKV:

1. Using MakeMKV config file, the setting name is sdf_Stop . On Linux / Mac that would be the following line in config:
sdf_Stop = "yourdriveid1 yourdriveid2"
On Windows this would be the registry variable under MakeMKV settings.

2. Or you can set environment variable SDF_STOP with the same syntax.
buttonmasher

Post by buttonmasher »

thank you for this information. I'll give it a shot and report backl
nickieh

Post by nickieh »

Where will I find the drive ID info in the Linux build (1.14.4)? Not seeing any logging in the $HOME/.MakeMKV directory. Thanks.
nickieh

Post by nickieh »

ignore previous: found the string once I'd enabled debugging in $HOME/MakeMKV_log.txt

Setting that in the sdf_Stop entry in settings.conf re-enabled me being able to rip BD discs : thanks.
jrmcmillan

Post by jrmcmillan »

This thread confuses me. I have the same BP50NB40 drive and have been able to read and copy HD Blu-ray disks. However, it will not read UHD Blu-ray disks. I thought that's what having a LibreDrive-enabled drive made possible - plus speed increases. Can someone straighten me out? Thanks.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

jrmcmillan wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:23 pm
This thread confuses me. I have the same BP50NB40 drive and have been able to read and copy HD Blu-ray disks. However, it will not read UHD Blu-ray disks. I thought that's what having a LibreDrive-enabled drive made possible - plus speed increases. Can someone straighten me out? Thanks.
I'd start by reading the 2 stickies immediately above this thread in the list...

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=18856

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=19113

And this:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
jrmcmillan

Post by jrmcmillan »

Thanks for the links. I had seen most of them before, but not the explanation about what LibreDrive is and how it works. Bottom line, if I understand correctly, I'm still out of luck with my BP50NB40.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Looks like it for UHD, for now.

From 'Ultimate UHD Drives Guide Updated 2019'...

UHD Drives Not Recommended:

There are a few UHD capable drives that can not currently be flashed and you are unlikely to get lucky with the correct firmware i would not get these unless it is from a seller thats says it has the correct firmware.
WP50NB40, UHD Friendly External Slim 9.5mm USB 2.0
BP50NB40, UHD Friendly External Slim 9.5mm USB 2.0
BP60NB10, UHD Official External Slim 9.5mm USB 2.0

although 'can not currently be flashed' implies someday it might.

LibreDrive is a work-in-progress & 'Unrestricted read speed' is planned for enabled drives ... someday.