HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 supported?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Post Reply
ubuntuuser
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 9:44 pm

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 supported?

Post by ubuntuuser » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:44 am

My linux box says: "CD-ROM HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 1.03 PQ"

BH16NS40 and BH16NS40-NS50 are different models, I have read. So how can I find out if I have a BH16NS40-NS50? https://www.makemkv.com/download/mk-fir ... 191013.zip contains a file for the NS40-NS50 only, but has an empty folder for the BH16NS40. So does this mean simply, my drive is not UHD-friendly?

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 926
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 supported?

Post by MartyMcNuts » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:59 am

ubuntuuser wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:44 am
My linux box says: "CD-ROM HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 1.03 PQ"

BH16NS40 and BH16NS40-NS50 are different models, I have read. So how can I find out if I have a BH16NS40-NS50? https://www.makemkv.com/download/mk-fir ... 191013.zip contains a file for the NS40-NS50 only, but has an empty folder for the BH16NS40. So does this mean simply, my drive is not UHD-friendly?
The best way to know for certain is to read the label on the physical drive, in the bottom right hand corner, it will say "SVC: NS50" if the drive is a NS50. The SVC NS50 versions started from very late 2015 and in MakeMKV, it will say "Drive Platform: MT1959".
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

ubuntuuser
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 9:44 pm

Re: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 supported?

Post by ubuntuuser » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks, so a MT1939 is not supported? I want to avaid to remove the device from the case, but I will do, if it makes sense.
driveinfo.png
driveinfo.png (108.07 KiB) Viewed 3629 times

ubuntuuser
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 9:44 pm

Re: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 supported?

Post by ubuntuuser » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:06 pm

The label on the device says SVC Code: NS40.
Attachments
burner.png
burner.png (45.15 KiB) Viewed 3626 times

d00zah
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 supported?

Post by d00zah » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:39 pm

ubuntuuser wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:06 pm
The label on the device says SVC Code: NS40.
Definitely NOT UHD-friendly!

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 926
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 supported?

Post by MartyMcNuts » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:18 am

d00zah wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:39 pm
ubuntuuser wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:06 pm
The label on the device says SVC Code: NS40.
Definitely NOT UHD-friendly!
And never will be!! LOL
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 supported?

Post by SamuriHL » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:33 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:18 am
d00zah wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:39 pm
ubuntuuser wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:06 pm
The label on the device says SVC Code: NS40.
Definitely NOT UHD-friendly!
And never will be!! LOL
And should have a label "DO NOT TOUCH". :D

Post Reply