[SOLVED - Stopped using docker container] BU40N slow speeds with LibreDrive

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
bfayers

[SOLVED - Stopped using docker container] BU40N slow speeds with LibreDrive

Post by bfayers »

Flashed my BU40N with the latest from the MK pack from mike, Ripping a Monsters University bluray and I'm only getting spikes to 5.6M/sec then it will slow down to a few hundred K/sec for a few minutes then spin back up for maybe 10 seconds.

It has no been stuck at about 300K/sec for the last 20 or so minutes.

Is this expected behavior for a BU40N? Do I just need to wait for the "Unrestricted Read Speed: Possible, Not Yet Enabled" to turn into a "Unrestricted Read Speed: Enabled" to do stuff quickly?

Thanks,
Ben
Last edited by bfayers on Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
st4evr

Re: BU40N slow speeds with LibreDrive

Post by st4evr »

Is the disc damaged/dirty in any way?

Have you tried cleaning it?

Have you tried a replacement?

Have you tried it on another drive?

You have to stop and think that there are two key parts in the ripping process. The drive and the disc itself. If either are failing, defective, dirty, etc it can cause issues with the reading of the data and in turn the backup process. MakeMKV is not a magic pill that will fix everything wrong with the backup process for you.

You have to rule out any problems with the disc and/or hardware first to make sure you are going down the right troubleshooting path.
bfayers

Re: BU40N slow speeds with LibreDrive

Post by bfayers »

st4evr wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:41 pm
Is the disc damaged/dirty in any way?

Have you tried cleaning it?

Have you tried a replacement?

Have you tried it on another drive?

You have to stop and think that there are two key parts in the ripping process. The drive and the disc itself. If either are failing, defective, dirty, etc it can cause issues with the reading of the data and in turn the backup process. MakeMKV is not a magic pill that will fix everything wrong with the backup process for you.

You have to rule out any problems with the disc and/or hardware first to make sure you are going down the right troubleshooting path.
Hi st4evr, I have fixed my issue now.

I had my BU40N passed through to a VM in proxmox, and it was then passed into a docker container within the VM, I tried without the docker container (so just running on the VM) and now I get anywhere from 13M to 21M/sec sustained, so rips take around 30 minutes