Newbie here. Which LibreDrive should I purchase to get started?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Cheapsuit

Newbie here. Which LibreDrive should I purchase to get started?

Post by Cheapsuit »

I was hoping someone could tell me which Libredrive I need to get started? Thank you in advance.
Woodstock

Re: Newbie here. Which LibreDrive should I purchase to get started?

Post by Woodstock »

You do realize that there are several long topics on which drives are "best", with summaries at the top, and even people who offer to provide you with drives updated to the most-compatible software, right?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
st4evr

Re: Newbie here. Which LibreDrive should I purchase to get started?

Post by st4evr »

To additionally clarify a few points here:

1. “Libredrive” is not a actual drive. In very short, it's a modification/code to firmware for drives that allows this feature to be used on existing hardware drives. You can't "purchase Libredrive" physically as a PC hardware component. The developer has provided detailed information on this in one of the many sticky/guides at the top of this forum. It may be useful for you to read it to inform yourself as best possible.

2. As Woodstock has already advised, there are hundreds of existing posts already discussing this. Including stickies/guides across the forum (including within this one where you posted) detailing what physical hardware drives have support for this feature and which are best to purchase at this time.

You need to do your part and read. We can't do that part for you and/or hold your hand through it. This is an online forum, it's impossible to do that. The information is out here right in front of you. Use it.

3. I'll give you one starting point. Start by reading this guide:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

Listing some of the drives there that are popular for this. Or use the services provided in the Drives for Sale subforum as also advised by Woodstock if you feel this is way beyond your tech capability/understanding and pay someone from there to assist and/or do it for you.