Feature Differences in the Various ASUS and LG Firmwares / Why Would People Want to Crossflash?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Chris Kelly

Feature Differences in the Various ASUS and LG Firmwares / Why Would People Want to Crossflash?

Post by Chris Kelly »

I have an LG WH16NS40 NS50 ver. 1.02. Do the ASUS 16x models (I forget the model numbers), the LG BE16NU50, and BH16NS40 NS50 have any advantages, disadvantages more features, less features, difference in ripping/burning speeds, decryption compatibility, compatibility with various disk types, etc. compared to the LG WH16NS40?
asmcom

Re: Feature Differences in the Various ASUS and LG Firmwares / Why Would People Want to Crossflash?

Post by asmcom »

BH16NS40 and WH16NS40 are the same drive with the same features.

Here is website with information on the drives in question you are enquiring about. Hope this helps out.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/ ... 019269-REG

There is a vast amount of information available on the MakeMKV forum. When you get a couple of hours free read the information and most of your questions will be answered.

Kind Regards

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
jonghotti

Re: Feature Differences in the Various ASUS and LG Firmwares / Why Would People Want to Crossflash?

Post by jonghotti »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 am
I have an LG WH16NS40 NS50 ver. 1.02. Do the ASUS 16x models (I forget the model numbers), the LG BE16NU50, and BH16NS40 NS50 have any advantages, disadvantages more features, less features, difference in ripping/burning speeds, decryption compatibility, compatibility with various disk types, etc. compared to the LG WH16NS40?
The main takeaway from cross flashing the LG with the ASUS firmware is a 25% increase in read (rip) speed your theoretical max will go from 6.0X to 8.0X. You'll also achieve the same speed increase flashing the NS40s with the WH16NS60 firmware. I don't remember what model drive is in the BE16NU50 but I'm guessing it's similar to the the 16NS40 and would also benefit from the speed boost.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829