Libredrive version v6

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
jonghotti

Re: Libredrive version v6

Post by jonghotti »

Let’s look on the bright side the software is free while in beta!
For that matter any beta testers, meaning anyone who uses a Wh16NS60 or wants to use one see me ask for the beta tester special-no NDA required!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Qxi144

Post by Qxi144 »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for providing a great product first off. Also thanks for allowing my drive to be supported for Libredrive. I don't have nor use UHD, so to me Libredrive is useless?

Now can you remove it? When I ripped a bluray before I was compatible, I had great ripping speed. Now I am far slower at ripping blurays. I mean it works, but at a much slower speed.

This is my info:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0 <-- using Windows 8.0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: 1.03
Firmware date: 2114-03-26 11:05
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 70

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Partial
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: GHOST_MR_CHICKEN
Timestamp: 2016-07-21 15:04:52
Data capacity: 24.92 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

It took about 40 mins to rip this movie where as before it may be half the time.

Please add an option on the next update to disable it. Also when your program says downloading sdf or bin, can you add "done downloading"? When I see that message I stop and wait and wait and wait til I think it's done.

Again thanks for a great program.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

It's working for me on an LG BH16NS55 running firmware 1.04.

I ripped Ford v Ferrari BD and the speed peaked at around 7.5x.
Last edited by Mr_Orange on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrVanx

Post by MrVanx »

Qxi144 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:59 pm
Hello Mike,

Thanks for providing a great product first off. Also thanks for allowing my drive to be supported for Libredrive. I don't have nor use UHD, so to me Libredrive is useless?

Now can you remove it? When I ripped a bluray before I was compatible, I had great ripping speed. Now I am far slower at ripping blurays. I mean it works, but at a much slower speed.

This is my info:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0 <-- using Windows 8.0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: 1.03
Firmware date: 2114-03-26 11:05
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 70

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Partial
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: GHOST_MR_CHICKEN
Timestamp: 2016-07-21 15:04:52
Data capacity: 24.92 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

It took about 40 mins to rip this movie where as before it may be half the time.

Please add an option on the next update to disable it. Also when your program says downloading sdf or bin, can you add "done downloading"? When I see that message I stop and wait and wait and wait til I think it's done.

Again thanks for a great program.
If you are desperate to turn it off you can add the variable as mentioned HERE.

Fairly sure there is an easy way to add an environment variable in win8 from cmd.exe but its a LONG time since I used windows 8 thats the best I can offer. In Linux there was a bunch of .conf files in the working directory which I added it to (not any more as Mike fixed some bugs since).

Hopefully that is a workaround?
Qxi144

Post by Qxi144 »

If you are desperate to turn it off you can add the variable as mentioned HERE.

Fairly sure there is an easy way to add an environment variable in win8 from cmd.exe but its a LONG time since I used windows 8 thats the best I can offer. In Linux there was a bunch of .conf files in the working directory which I added it to (not any more as Mike fixed some bugs since).

Hopefully that is a workaround?
Thanks, but I am not that desperate. I don't rip much blurays, so a few more minutes won't hurt me. I'll do more testing, it may be just that particular bluray. I'm just surprised I found I was Libredrive compatible without warning..

I'm just wondering if the LD is beneficial for myself? I don't play blurays on my computer, nor have UHD, so bypassing drive's parameters to make it go faster may cause harm (especially if it is hindering the drive aka going slower)?

I have a couple of discs coming soon, so I'll give them a whirl and see if anything changed. May pull out so more old blurays and re-rip them and see.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Qxi144

Post by Qxi144 »

Well I did some testing. I managed to get the environment variable in windows 8.0 to work, so Makemkv showed no Libredrive whatsoever.

So with 19.7 gig bluray I get 9:48 with no LDmode
then for 19.7 gig bluray I get 9:50 with LDmode enable

So after some more testing, honestly it really doesn't do much, The previous post may have been the bluray disc itself. DVD discs also were fine (I got 3.5 gig in about 5 mins LDmode on/off).

So I guess with my drive it really doesn't do much?.... But can someone tell me does the LibreDrive Mode actually change something in the bluray drive?

Anyway, I hope this is it for now...I have alot of dvds to re-rip...
rtshrubber

Post by rtshrubber »

I guess I am just lucky. My UH12NS30 is working better (and faster) than ever on both blurays and dvds.

I thought my drive might be too old to support for Libredrive, but thanks for proving me wrong. Thanks also for all the work that you do to make this all work so well.
CalPolyME

Post by CalPolyME »

I also have a UH12NS30 that shows Libredrive enabled in MakeMkv. Should I be able to rip UHD Blu Rays with this drive now? Right now, when I insert a UHD of The Fifth Element, it won't even recognize that a disc is inserted.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

CalPolyME wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:46 pm
I also have a UH12NS30 that shows Libredrive enabled in MakeMkv. Should I be able to rip UHD Blu Rays with this drive now? Right now, when I insert a UHD of The Fifth Element, it won't even recognize that a disc is inserted.
No
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
DigitalJosee

Post by DigitalJosee »

Hey all, this is my first post, so let me know if I'm posting it on the right place.

I see that BH40N is supported, any chance for BH30N support? I don't know how different they're, despite the fact that the 30 version is older.

It's quite cheap here, almost half price compared with other drives, wondering how useful can it be.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

DigitalJosee wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:46 pm
I see that BH40N is supported, any chance for BH30N support? I don't know how different they're, despite the fact that the 30 version is older.
It's quite cheap here, almost half price compared with other drives, wondering how useful can it be.
Do you have one? What is displayed on the right pane when you start MakeMKV?
yorick

Post by yorick »

On BW-16D1HT, firmware MK 3.10, MakeMKV 1.15.2 and Ubuntu 20.04, I had some trouble with initial open of Joker 4k UHD. I got "unable to open disc" twice, and on the third try it showed "LibreDrive 6.02" and worked. Ejecting and reinserting the disc, LibreDrive 6.02 was shown on first attempt and it worked. Saving to MKV worked, starting at 3.8X and then speeding up from there - 4.4X after 3 minutes, 6.3X after 12. Topped out at 6.4X and then slowed down again towards the end of the disc, ending at 4.3X. I'll call that a success, initial "unable to open disc" notwithstanding.
DigitalJosee

Post by DigitalJosee »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:31 pm
DigitalJosee wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:46 pm
Do you have one? What is displayed on the right pane when you start MakeMKV?
No, I ditched it and got a Pìoneer BDR-206, it's quite slow for ripping but fast enough for burning, which I'll do the most.

Thanks for checking about the BH30N tho!
allomere

Post by allomere »

Is it at all possible that the fast spinning/read rates from enabling maximum read speed could cause a drive to fail prematurely? I have a WH16NS60 that seems to be failing; over the last several weeks, it has increasingly had difficulty reading UHD discs, and as of now, it seems unable to read any UHD discs at all. DVDs seem fine though.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

allomere wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:41 am
Is it at all possible that the fast spinning/read rates from enabling maximum read speed could cause a drive to fail prematurely? I have a WH16NS60 that seems to be failing; over the last several weeks, it has increasingly had difficulty reading UHD discs, and as of now, it seems unable to read any UHD discs at all. DVDs seem fine though.
Yes, it is more likely to happen.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com