different drives, different hardwares?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
martinbrady

different drives, different hardwares?

Post by martinbrady »

Hello, I'm a little confused after reading a lot of posts here and there:
How should I install LD compatibility in MKV without destroying my machine (I mean, bricking my drive) gives me a headache for instance, this:
mike admin wrote:Please note that there are different drives with exactly the same name but with different hardware. For example BH16NS40 and BH16NS40-NS50 are different models. Another example - there are three different BU40 models - Taiwan, USA and Europe. If unsure, do not flash, and wait for LibreDrive flasher app to be released.
bothers me
would it mean I might expect that my Asus drive BC-12D2HT could suffer from being flashed by
the ASUS-BC-12D2HT-3.11-WM00300-211902271319.bin I found from the mk-firmware-pack-20200415 from the mike topic for the simple reason I bought this drive in France?

Would be quieter about that if the LD flasher drive was released.
(note that I at last made it to finally playback a bray in VLC thanks to MKV (without the need to have to start MKV previously :shock: , which startles me :) , does it work underneath? suppose so).
step by step I go ahead :?
please don't mention the quality of my english unless I'm obscure :wink:
martinbrady

Re: different drives, different hardwares?

Post by martinbrady »

nobody answered that too but risked it anyway, so:
LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.01
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

thanks anyway
HPinder500

Post by HPinder500 »

Hi I've just purchased the same drive model. How has it been working for you since flashing the drive?
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

martinbrady wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:57 pm
would it mean I might expect that my Asus drive BC-12D2HT could suffer from being flashed by
the ASUS-BC-12D2HT-3.11-WM00300-211902271319.bin I found from the mk-firmware-pack-20200415 from the mike topic for the simple reason I bought this drive in France?
The model numbers match what is the problem here?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
martinbrady

Post by martinbrady »

jonghotti wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:28 am
martinbrady wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:57 pm
The model numbers match what is the problem here?
jonghotti
the problem is solved since (as I put it in the following post)
the problem was as I indicated too:
mike admin wrote: there are three different BU40 models - Taiwan, USA and Europe. If unsure, do not flash, and wait for LibreDrive flasher app to be released.
so the way Mike put it, some drives with the same model numbers mays be different between USA and Europe and... so, a flash for one model number might be dangerous if executed over a Europe (or elsewhere) drive with the same number. It might have been true too with my Asus as welle as the drive he mentioned.
But I risked it and it works as shown in my second post :wink:
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Right, but you didn’t load it with 3.11 unless this is a typo in your second post. Says firmware version 3.01.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
martinbrady

Post by martinbrady »

jonghotti wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:30 pm
Right, but you didn’t load it with 3.11 unless this is a typo in your second post. Says firmware version 3.01.
yes, jonghotti! but my 2nd post is a screenshot of the result I got AFTER my flashing :!:
I got your meaning now, but my 2nd post with screenshot was to say I made it all by myself without waiting longer for an answer to the 1st one, that's why I sent a pm to HPinder500 (lately alas)

:arrow: I was on 3.11 and downgraded it to 3.01 (wasn't it what I had to do?) as the linked flashing exe I found in this forum saved my life :)
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

martinbrady wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:35 am
jonghotti wrote:
yes, jonghotti! but my 2nd post is a screenshot of the result I got AFTER my flashing :!:
I got your meaning now, but my 2nd post with screenshot was to say I made it all by myself without waiting longer for an answer to the 1st one, that's why I sent a pm to HPinder500 (lately alas)

:arrow: I was on 3.11 and downgraded it to 3.01 (wasn't it what I had to do?) as the linked flashing exe I found in this forum saved my life :)
All you had to do was flash your BC-12D2HT to ASUS-BC-12D2HT-3.11-WM00300-211902271319.bin (which is what we generally call 3.11-MK). This makes your drive UHD capable.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
martinbrady

Post by martinbrady »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:54 am
All you had to do was flash your BC-12D2HT to ASUS-BC-12D2HT-3.11-WM00300-211902271319.bin (which is what we generally call 3.11-MK). This makes your drive UHD capable.
but I have this now:
LibreDrive Information

all four "yes" isn't it correct? with the asus original 3.11 I had "possible not yet enabled"
I thought I had to downgrade, so I must remake it with the 3.11 MKV?
you know I can manage UHD now, and open all regions (dvds, I didn't test reg A Locked brays) but I don't get the speed I expected
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

martinbrady wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:31 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:54 am
but I have this now:
LibreDrive Information

all four "yes" isn't it correct? with the asus original 3.11 I had "possible not yet enabled"
I thought I had to downgrade, so I must remake it with the 3.11 MKV?
you know I can manage UHD now, and open all regions (dvds, I didn't test reg A Locked brays) but I don't get the speed I expected
No. If you are happy on 3.01 then leave it as is. I was saying that all you had to do was flash it from original 3.11 to 3.11-MK and you would have been good to go!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
martinbrady

Post by martinbrady »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:19 am

No. If you are happy on 3.01 then leave it as is. I was saying that all you had to do was flash it from original 3.11 to 3.11-MK and you would have been good to go!
yes ok but now I got a small doubt consisting in the fact I might have been better from asus 3.11 to mkv 3.11 with bigger speed but I won't try flashing again! thanks anyway
(in fact, I thought I had to downgrade)
:) and thanks for the advice to you
HPinder500

Post by HPinder500 »

martinbrady wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:35 am
jonghotti wrote:

Thanks for your message (cant send DMs on my account yet) and to other responses on the thread.
Just flashed my drive with the 3.11 MK firmware using the modified ASUS flasher. Worked without issues and read my 4K copy of Joker.
martinbrady

Post by martinbrady »

HPinder500 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:10 pm
Just flashed my drive with the 3.11 MK firmware using the modified ASUS flasher. Worked without issues and read my 4K copy of Joker.
great! that's what I should have done!
yorick

Post by yorick »

HPinder500 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:10 pm
Thanks that's the hint I needed! Joker just wouldn't open on Asus 3.01, got read errors and then the drive wouldn't be seen by MakeMKV any more until reboot. Flashed to MK 3.10 (16D1HT drive), and that solved it.