LibreDrive running, 4k UHD does not seem to be available. Or is it?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
annevejb

Post by annevejb »

I recently managed to get LibreDrive running on my BD-RE BH16NS55, revision 1.03, now running as patched 1.04. Thanks for the help at this forum.

I wanted to check out how things ran so I purchased a second hand blu and also a second hand 4k. I had not expected 4k to be much different, on my system, without a way too expensive OLED screen, but nice to check if I can run it now, and if so if it looks any different.

First I tried to play the 4k UHD as a blu-ray disk in VLC.
It loaded with some wobbles and squeeks and started playing, but after a few minutes it stopped. I washed the disk and tried again, same thing. The video quality looked a bit different, though.

I then tried to transfer it to a hard drive. It read as aacs2.0/C v68. It loaded to offer a choice of two files and the ticks for all languages made me go back to prefs and just tick en. I then reloaded the disk, but ... The volume key is unknown for this disc.

I went back to VLC, but there was an error message that the disk was corrupted.

I then tried a blu-ray and that transfered faster than I expected. A noticeable improvement.

The next day I went to a spare distro partition that I had not set up fully yet. Get to set up MakeMKV, LibreDrive read as active, it did not need setting up in the new distro. I put in the 4k disk, but again, no go.

MakeMKV v1.15.1 linux(x64-release) started
Downloading latest SDF to /home/ajb/.MakeMKV ...
Using direct disc access mode
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=8AA951EFA8D1)
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Downloading latest HK to /home/Extra/.MakeMKV ...
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.
Saved AACS dump file as /home/Extra/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v68_Pet_Sematary_EFCD.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc.

Except that I noticed that there was an attempt to download a HK file. I switched the internet back on. I also checked the .MakeMKV director(ies) and noticed that the sdf_00000078.bin was not there. I also corrected that. I then clicked on the icon again.

Using direct disc access mode
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=8AA951EFA8D1)
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Downloading latest HK to /home/Extra/.MakeMKV ...

A very long transfer time, but it is a 50G file.

Copy failed after around 20 minutes, near the edge of the disk. Clean disk. Internet off. Disk loads and I play Scream as I wait. Transferred okay. The resultant mkv file is compatible with the tools for slimming it down, that takes even more time. A lot to be said for blu, but 4k does look different.

Hope that going on line at the start of transfer is not essential. For now I assume not, but it could be an interesting security feature of 4k. - > Update: Internet access no longer seems needed, that is an observation after I have transferred or played two more 4k disks. Mostly I do not see any difference between 4k and better quality blu-ray, mostly, but that could be due to me using a semi affordable screen.