MakeMKV drive speed control : some feedback

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
metatech

MakeMKV drive speed control : some feedback

Post by metatech »

Hello,

Thanks a lot for adding the drive speed control to MakeMKV.
Previously I needed to start a separate program (PlexUtilities), which forgets the setting after each disk ejection, to achieve the same effect with my Plextor BD-R drive.
I noticed that BD-RE are very sensitive to heat, and copying them at speeds higher than 2x can result in read errors towards the end.
Now setting the maximum speed is done automatically by MakeMKV.

By trial-and-error I determined that the following values are used for specifying the speed on the following drive :
PLEXTOR_BD-R__PX-LB950UE_1.05
1 to 8 = 1x
9 to 17 = 2x
18 to 26 = 4x
27 to 35 = 6x
36 to 512 = 8x

On my second drive (PIONEER_BD-RW___BDR-XD05_3.01), limiting the maximum speed has no effect, I suppose the drive does not take the hint into account

Again thank you very much !

metatech
Last edited by metatech on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DieMedia

Re: MakeMKV drive speed control : some feedback

Post by DieMedia »

Hi MetaTech!

I have a USB-attached (USB3) Blu Ray player (see stats below) running on Windows 10 Professional, and I'm very interested how I can max out the speed. I think the drive can read faster than it does, so the drive speed control interests me a great deal. What did you use to determine the max speed of your drive for the various media types? I'd like to help folks learn to set some speed values that might help them get better performance out of a portable USB-attached Blu Ray drive.

To test the speed control, I modified the Registry and set the speed to a default of "0=99". I then used MakeMKV on the DVD, "The Time Traveler's Wife": my drive couldn't read past the index and refused to load the DVD. And worse, the studio intentionally put a corrupted VOB in the form of an Extra, so that I had to set the Video minimum length to 1,500 seconds to ignore everything shorter than 25 minutes, which left me with the the actual movie. But even so, the single layer DVD read at a miserly .9x(!) for the most part. It's fastest speed at one point was 1.4x. I also tried a rather fast-decoding Blu Ray movie and it didn't appear to read any faster than the original decoding.

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: <serial number>
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 11:42
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
metatech

Post by metatech »

DieMedia wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:29 pm
What did you use to determine the max speed of your drive for the various media types?
Hello DieMedia,

In my case I was only interested in reading at a slower speed than the default.
It will probably not be of much help, but I found those threshold values by setting them incrementally in Regedit, then launching MakeMKV and launching a backup, and observe the speed measured by MakeMKV...

metatech
DieMedia

Post by DieMedia »

metatech wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:58 am
DieMedia wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:29 pm
What did you use to determine the max speed of your drive for the various media types?
Hello DieMedia,

In my case I was only interested in reading at a slower speed than the default.
It will probably not be of much help, but I found those threshold values by setting them incrementally in Regedit, then launching MakeMKV and launching a backup, and observe the speed measured by MakeMKV...

metatech

YIKES!! What a process that must have been!