WH16NS40 sVC NS40

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Pliny_The_Elder

WH16NS40 sVC NS40

Post by Pliny_The_Elder »

Hi I’m new to this and just wanted to check if things are working ok. I bought a second hand 16x Blu-ray writer from cex (it’s a bit of roulette as to what drive you get) mine ended up being a WH16NS40 with SVC NS40, so I know this isn’t the UHD friendly version which is a shame, but I don’t have UHD discs anyway. It’s got Fw 1.03 and I’m connecting it via an innateck usb sata adaptor. Which all seems to work. Except the speed to rip a Blu-ray seemed a bit slow if it is working with libredrive

The device information gives asmedia which I think is the usb sata bridge chipset rather than the drive manufacturer.

When initialising it says using Libredrive, then the next line is Using Direct drive access. Is this correct? Does the libredrive mode inject the FW then switch to direct access mode using the libredrive microcode uploaded?

My rip speed is between 5-6x which seems slow, but this may also be limited by ripping from Blu-ray on usb to hdd on usb, it’s usb 3 on both ends. Just wondered if someone with more experience can weigh in!