Speed Control, 1.15.3, and UHD friendly max speed!

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Bluntman

Speed Control, 1.15.3, and UHD friendly max speed!

Post by Bluntman »

So I noticed Mike had mentioned speed control took a much more active role at layer breaks, and disc edges. He also mentioned the slow speed at layer break switches eliminated many firmware bugs related to high speed seek errors.

Now I’m no genius. So I wasn’t sure if that just meant UHD friendly drives read much more reliably, or if I could use my BW-16D1HT at max read speeds now and not trigger the sleep bug. Much like my WH16NS60.

So I went into my registry and changed the ASUS entry from “0=99;U1=-;U2=-;U3=-“
To the unlimited speed for all discs option my LG uses
“0=99”

I then booted makemkv and inserted the triple layer aquaman.

It ripped PERFECTLY NO SLEEP BUG FULL SPEED and slowed down at layer breaks and at the initial fire up. I ripped the roughly 90GB disc in 40:21. I saw a max speed of 11.2x but I got up after I saw it working.

Most pleased. Mike you keep proving my registration was money well spent. Not that I ever had doubts in the first place.

THANKS MIKE keep up the good work!

Anyone else gonna test and report?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by Bluntman on Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Re: Speed Control, 1.15.3, and UHD friendly max speed!

Post by SamuriHL »

Very nice. Just as SOON as I get some new discs to rip I will be playing with my NS60's to see if they work with triple layer discs set to god speed. LOL I'm not sure what's coming next but I think it may be back to the future trilogy steel book so it may be a few weeks before I have anything new to play with. I know the question may be why not just pull a disc off the shelf to test, but, why put undo wear and tear on a drive when I can just wait? :D
Bluntman

Post by Bluntman »

SamuriHL wrote:Very nice. Just as SOON as I get some new discs to rip I will be playing with my NS60's to see if they work with triple layer discs set to god speed. LOL I'm not sure what's coming next but I think it may be back to the future trilogy steel book so it may be a few weeks before I have anything new to play with. I know the question may be why not just pull a disc off the shelf to test, but, why put undo wear and tear on a drive when I can just wait? :D
SamuriHL you silly goose. This is for UHD friendly drives not official lol.

You’re NS60 already rips are god speed mode as of 1.15.2 lol.

But as long as you’re having fun brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Bluntman wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:54 am

I could not disagree with your statement more. All 3 of my NS60 (well one ASUS flashed to NS60) drives have problems with triple layer discs. Every single one of them. So no, the NS60 is not somehow immune from this problem at all.
Bluntman

Post by Bluntman »

SamuriHL wrote:
Bluntman wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:54 am

I could not disagree with your statement more. All 3 of my NS60 (well one ASUS flashed to NS60) drives have problems with triple layer discs. Every single one of them. So no, the NS60 is not somehow immune from this problem at all.
Wow that’s unreal. I’ve never had a problem with triple layer. Be it Asus or LG unless the discs were of bad quality to start. That’s so odd.

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's why I specifically set speed control to not be used on triple layer uhd. But now i think I'll be able to.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TheCrazyCanuck

Post by TheCrazyCanuck »

Does anyone know what the encoding for 1x speed is? I know 0=8 means limiting the drive to 2x across all media types but is 1x 0=4?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yes. See my explanation in the GoT thread.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

TheCrazyCanuck wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:08 am
Does anyone know what the encoding for 1x speed is? I know 0=8 means limiting the drive to 2x across all media types but is 1x 0=4?
There is none. MTK1959 hardware can only go at even speeds - minimum is 2x, next is 4x and so on. It just physically can't spin at 1x
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Well that's disappointing. LOL I suppose it's not surprising.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

SamuriHL wrote:Very nice. Just as SOON as I get some new discs to rip I will be playing with my NS60's to see if they work with triple layer discs set to god speed. LOL I'm not sure what's coming next but I think it may be back to the future trilogy steel book so it may be a few weeks before I have anything new to play with. I know the question may be why not just pull a disc off the shelf to test, but, why put undo wear and tear on a drive when I can just wait? :D
Did you end up doing this? Wanted an update on how many of your NS60s blew up during the test Image

The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Sure I did set it to 0=99 and tested it but the NS60 sucks on triple layer discs at any speed much less god speed. So I typically have it set to 0=99;U3=slowthefdown
Bluntman

Post by Bluntman »

SamuriHL wrote:Sure I did set it to 0=99 and tested it but the NS60 sucks on triple layer discs at any speed much less god speed. So I typically have it set to 0=99;U3=slowthefdown

So odd whereas my NS60 rips triple layers be it GoT or LotR triple layers in god mode perfectly fine. Reached speeds of 12.3x I think it was it 11.8. Either way it behaves good for me.

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I have 3 "ns60" drives. 2 actual and 1 bw16d1ht all on ns60 1.00 firmware. They all behave the same.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:00 am
I have 3 "ns60" drives. 2 actual and 1 bw16d1ht all on ns60 1.00 firmware. They all behave the same.
I feel your NS60s may be in the beginnings of the twilight of their lives.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829