Updated firmware, slow audio CDs, odd MakeMKV interaction? How to keep it fast?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
wavesounds

Updated firmware, slow audio CDs, odd MakeMKV interaction? How to keep it fast?

Post by wavesounds »

First thanks to everyone who contributes here, did lots of reading, got up and running with a WH16NS40.

Problem statement: New drive from Amazon. Did firmware updates. Now when ripping an audio CD to 320k MP3's (just a basic audio CD) in MusicBee (common music program), the drive speed maximum is 3-4x. (Slow, I know!) However, an odd thing happens. When ripping if I open MakeMKV, I get some SCSI errors in the console portion, and the drive jumps to life and runs at 30x-40x even! Odd again, if I leave MakeMKV open and idle and start a second CD audio rip, it goes back to 3-4x again. How can I have it run 30-40x for audio CD's without needing to "open/close MakeMKV" during each disk ripping process?

Hypothesis: Because it stays fast for the rest of the first CD, and then is slow again for the next disk with MakeMKV left idle, is there a firmware flag or handshake that is touched by MakeMKV to speed it up just during that disc/opening the program? To be clear, leaving MakeMKV idle in the background doesn't solve it, the action of opening the program does.

Drive history: Bought WH16NS40 on Amazon this week. Came with 1.05 on it. MakeMKV would say "possible with new firmware" in the LibreDrive feature set, as expected. I read a bunch of threads here. The LG flasher tool recommended here gave me checksum error and would not start a flash no matter what. However, the "sdftool_flasher" GUI tool someone made worked. First: I flashed the "flash_..." firmware below using it with the "Enc?"" box checked. Then: I flashed the "HL-..." file to it next. MakeMKV LibreDrive feature set appears happy (=enabled) now, but still reads out as version 1.05.

:arrow: Any thoughts how I can make the speed be permanent without this weird workaround behavior? Needing to close and open MakeMKV during each disk rip is a bit odd. Thanks all for your ideas!

Files I used:
Flash.jpg
Flash.jpg (10.94 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
MakeMKV says this now when I open it during an audio CD rip process running in MusicBee and it speeds up for the rest of the disk:
MakeMKV.jpg
MakeMKV.jpg (93.32 KiB) Viewed 4481 times