Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Coopervid

Re: Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Post by Coopervid »

TheJonny272 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 pm

If your in the USA the pioneer s13ubk is very good. I have them with old fw see below for details
Well, I´m a german guy from germany xD Any recommendations for drives, that are common in my country? 2016+ would be nice for the downgrade-options + I could look for a used one as they tend to cost anywhere from half to a third as much as new drives :)
Check your PM.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

I already own a Pioneer XD08, which is great for ripping. However, as far as UHD disks are concerned, Pioneers are also completely dependent on LibreDrive. And unless/until Mike can modify LibreDrive to work with the current Pioneer firmware, the pool of LibreDrive-compatible Pioneer drives that are still available to buy is a limited (and dwindling!) resource! If you want one then I'd suggest contacting your local UHD reseller (e.g. Asmcom, in my case) sooner rather than later.

Personally, I have no problem shamelessly plugging Asmcom either :mrgreen:. I've even just gone back to them for a USB3 BU40N drive, so that I can become less dependent on the "magic" which happens at svq@makemkv.com. (Obviously I'll still use my Pioneer for the actual ripping.) I was going to buy a drive and suitable USB enclosure myself on Amazon, put them together and then flash the appropriate firmware, but then it occurred to me that maybe Asmcom had done all that work for me already. Which indeed they had, so that was easy :D.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

TheJonny272 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:55 am
asmcom wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:35 am
Pioneer drives are the best. Any customer we have sold to will verify this. Please see the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
The UHD Friendly Drive Team
Asmcom :mrgreen:
Thanks for the direction, I will look into Pioneers then :) Forgot to specifiy, that I´m a bit oldschool and still have, use and love PC cases with 5 1/4 Bays. Therefor, I´m on the lookout for a 5 1/4 Drive :D
We have some super deals on Pioneer 5.25" drives and special postage rates to Germany. There is no import tax.

PM Sent

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
jumpy76

Post by jumpy76 »

Good afternoon!
I'm new to this forum. I'd like to buy a Bluray burner that supports 4k, possibly region free.
I'm not planning to burn disks by now, but I'd want something future proof.
Can you please give me a suggestion?
Thank you very much
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

jumpy76 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 9:56 am
Good afternoon!
I'm new to this forum. I'd like to buy a Bluray burner that supports 4k, possibly region free.
I'm not planning to burn disks by now, but I'd want something future proof.
Can you please give me a suggestion?
Thank you very much
Pioneer drives are considered the best for burning and are highly regarded for ripping.
Mouseater

Post by Mouseater »

Same question but for the U.S.A.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Mouseater wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:25 pm
Same question but for the U.S.A.
If your in the USA I would recommend the s13ubk I have them with old fw if you want one.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
LordKaladar

Post by LordKaladar »

In the US, looking for a good BluRay drive. I've ripped my normal DVDs and now I'm to the point where I am ready to start on the 40-50 BluRays I own.

Would prefer a slim external, as my primary chassis doesn't have bays, but I'm not opposed to a 5.25" with an adapter/enclosure.

I do not have (or expect to buy) many UHD disks anytime soon (I don't even have a 4k TV or monitor) -- so while that feature set would be 'nice', it's not a show-stopper.
If the difference in cost between an pre-flashed UHD drive is pretty close, I might just spring for one for future-proofing sake.

Thanks in advance!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

LordKaladar wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:26 am
In the US, looking for a good BluRay drive. I've ripped my normal DVDs and now I'm to the point where I am ready to start on the 40-50 BluRays I own.

Would prefer a slim external, as my primary chassis doesn't have bays, but I'm not opposed to a 5.25" with an adapter/enclosure.

I do not have (or expect to buy) many UHD disks anytime soon (I don't even have a 4k TV or monitor) -- so while that feature set would be 'nice', it's not a show-stopper.
If the difference in cost between an pre-flashed UHD drive is pretty close, I might just spring for one for future-proofing sake.

Thanks in advance!
all the slim ones in the USA would need to be flashed and if getting a pioneer slim some cant be flashed at all like the xs07 if on new fw.
i recommend the S13UBK with old firmware and a vantec DX2
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
LordKaladar

Post by LordKaladar »

So, a drive needs to be flashed for LibreDrive features whether you want to rip UHD or not?
Is LibreDrive necessary for any type of BluRay, or does it just make the ripping faster/less error prone?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

LordKaladar wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:00 am
So, a drive needs to be flashed for LibreDrive features whether you want to rip UHD or not?
Is LibreDrive necessary for any type of BluRay, or does it just make the ripping faster/less error prone?
Libredrive is required for UHD ripping. For standard BD, it isn't needed but when enabled, it does stop the drive from being revoked whenever a newer AACS revision disc is inserted into the drive. Therefore, it is handy to have enabled. It does not have any effect on ripping speed or read errors.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
EnderDragon2001

Post by EnderDragon2001 »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:19 am
EnderDragon2001 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:44 pm
I'm also interested in a UHD Libre drive (my Slime drive broke down).

I live in Germany

I would also like a 5,25" Drive (and maybe robust slime drive) recommendation.
I'm very interested in Speed (even if it costs more)

Thanks in advance
Check PM.
Hi, sorry ich hatte noch eine Frage bevor ich mir das Laufwerk bald hole.
Gibt es ein Disc-Format (128 GB 4-Layer z.B. o.ä.), dass das Laufwerk welches du mir empfohlen hast nicht Lesen / (vlt. auch schreiben) kann, wollte das nur Wissen bevor ich das Laufwerk kaufe, da es ja hoffentlich lange halten soll.

Und was ändert das Flashen zur "U" Variante?
Wenn ich das Laufwerk dann gekauft habe würde ich dich nochmal wegen des Flashers kontaktieren (oder du schickst ihn mir gleich).

Vielen Dank nochmals für die Empfehlung und wegen der Fragen :D.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

EnderDragon2001 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 5:24 pm
Coopervid wrote:
EnderDragon2001 wrote:

I live in Germany

Thanks in advance
Check PM.
Gibt es ein Disc-Format (128 GB 4-Layer z.B. o.ä.), dass das Laufwerk welches du mir empfohlen hast nicht Lesen / (vlt. auch schreiben) kann, wollte das nur Wissen bevor ich das Laufwerk kaufe, da es ja hoffentlich lange halten soll.

Wenn ich das Laufwerk dann gekauft habe würde ich dich nochmal wegen des Flashers kontaktieren (oder du schickst ihn mir gleich).

Das geflashte Laufwerk kann alles was das U kann. BDR-XL, DVD-RAM usw. Für den Rest sendest du mir eine PM.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Too many idiots in this forum. I have 15 unread PMs with instructions that were never read and all of those people were begging like little kids. I need to see that there is proof of interest.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

EnderDragon2001 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 5:24 pm
Coopervid wrote:
EnderDragon2001 wrote:

I live in Germany

Thanks in advance
Check PM.

4 weeks later after I PMed you. You belong to the bunch above. Unbelievable!