Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Coopervid

Re: Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Post by Coopervid »

Boash wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:45 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:05 am
Please let us know your country of residence to give the best advice for a Pioneer. And also if you prefer a slim or 5,25" drive.
I am in the US and would like a recommendation for both a slim and 5.25" drive, if possible. Thanks!
Check PM
xzyyxyzyxy

Post by xzyyxyzyxy »

I am looking for a similar drive as OP. Im looking for a 5.25° internal drive and located in the Netherlands
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

All sold out. You need to contact asmcom for a drive that still works.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

atp-flo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:22 pm
After a few days of research without much prior knowledge I came to the conclusion that you've got to ask you some questions befor you buy a drive.

- Pioneer vs LG and others [quality vs feasibility/availability]
- flash it yourself vs buy it preflashed [cheap vs expensive]
- 5,25" vs slim [robust/bulky vs small/mobile]

When one goes through all of this and you search for the "best most reliable and versatile LibreDrive" you will probably end up here:

- A preflashed Pioneer 5,25" drive for around 170$ from a community member.

Except you live in Europe right now and you can just buy this one for 99€:

Verbatim 43888:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MTP9VKX

- LibreDrive, out-of-the-box without firmware flash
- Pioneer BDR-UD04 drive (top quality and reliability)
- 1x USB-C, no additional ports present or required
- Extremely slim design, visually appealing
- Relatively quiet during operation, loud when inserting

The device reads 4K Blu-rays and everything else you feed it without any complaints completely out-of-the-box. I got it yesterday and it had no problems ripping TopGun:Maverick and other 4K Blu-rays.

I've mounted it on the wall and now use it with my Mini-PC homeserver. MakeMKV is running on it, and I can now comfortably rip my discs without having to boot up my main PC for it. After ~1 hour of ripping they are directly streamable on my TV in my home network thanks to the DLNA server.

For me it was just the best and easiest option. I don't need an internal 5,25"-slot nor an external enclosure nor a power supply - just plug and play and boom. For 99€ it was an absolute steal.

Important Update: Clearance Price Adjustment for Verbatim 43888 Drive

We want to inform you about a recent update regarding the Verbatim 43888 drive, and we appreciate your understanding as we prioritise your satisfaction.

Due to reliability concerns, we have decided to place the Verbatim 43888 on clearance and lowered its price. We've observed instances where customers with substantial disc backup needs have encountered reliability issues, especially during heavy use of this model. The Verbatim 43888 comes equipped with a Pioneer BDR-UD04, classified as an entry-level budget drive for Pioneer, typically intended for enterprise use.

In contrast to this model, our other Pioneer drives in stock have demonstrated superior reliability. We've received overwhelmingly positive feedback, with only one reported faulty drive out of over 2000 units sold. This stark contrast underscores our commitment to offering you products that stand the test of reliability and performance.

We understand the importance of a dependable drive, especially for extensive data backup, and we want to assure you that we are committed to providing solutions that meet your expectations. As part of this commitment, we have adjusted the price on the Verbatim 43888 drive to reflect its clearance status.

If you have any questions or want assistance exploring alternative options, please feel free to reach out. Your satisfaction is paramount to us, and we appreciate your continued trust in our products and services.

Asmcom

UHD Friendly Drive Team

Verbatim 43888: Update: Wednesday 24th of April 2024

We'd like to provide you with an update regarding the Verbatim 43888 drive, ensuring your satisfaction remains our top priority. We've recently received a new batch of Verbatim 43888 models. We're pleased to confirm that they have received assurances from the manufacturer regarding their reliability after thorough testing over the last six weeks. Our tests with 4K UHD discs have yielded positive results, indicating no issues so far.

For optimal playback of 4K movies on your computer, we recommend using third-party software such as MakeMKV to back up the disc to a file first and then playback from the file rather than the disc. This method has proven more reliable than playing directly from the drive. We would estimate that the majority of our customers prefer this approach for disc playback.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
poppels

Post by poppels »

Hi

I am also interested in a drive to rip my non-UHD discs.
I have bought a few Astrid Lindgren collections for my kid and would prefer to have them in Jellyfin so that I don't have to disc swap so much :lol:, so it's a mix of standard BDs and DVDs.

I just hope they're not as expensive as the UHD drives...
thornae

Post by thornae »

I'm looking to get a new Pioneer of some sort (probably from asmcom) to replace a dead internal drive - anyone got thoughts on the pros and cons of an external top loader vs. an internal drive? Will be used mostly for ripping, some playing, and very occasional writing.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

thornae wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:06 pm
I'm looking to get a new Pioneer of some sort (probably from asmcom) to replace a dead internal drive - anyone got thoughts on the pros and cons of an external top loader vs. an internal drive? Will be used mostly for ripping, some playing, and very occasional writing.

Pioneer BDR-S13EBK, Internal / External 4K Libredrive on Firmware 1-03

The Vantec with DX2 with a size 5.25" drive is a good combination.

Asmcom
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

xzyyxyzyxy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:42 am
I am looking for a similar drive as OP. Im looking for a 5.25° internal drive and located in the Netherlands
Check PM
kultakala

Post by kultakala »

Hi,
Also looking for a pre-flashed 5.25 internal drive.
What would be the best Pioneer one currently ?
External case is present, just need the drive...
My location is Germany.
Thanks!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

kultakala wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:33 am
Hi,
My location is Germany.
Thanks!
Check PM
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

kultakala wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:33 am
Hi,
My location is Germany.
Thanks!
"Discover the ultimate in 4K Pioneer LibreDrive Friendly drives with our expert recommendations:

Pioneer BDR-XS07TUHD for Slot Drives: Unleash top-tier performance and seamless slot-loading convenience.

BDR-XD08EMB-S for Top Loaders: Elevate your experience with PureRead 4+ in a sleek, compact design, providing the luxury of Ultra HD Blu-ray on your PC.

Pioneer BDR-X13E-S for Full-Size External 4K Blu-ray Drives: Embrace Pioneer's pinnacle of excellence – USB 3.2 Gen 1, Pure-Read 4, silent operation, and unmatched reliability. The BDR-X13E-S sets a new standard.

Drive Only Recommendations: BDR-S13-EX, BDR-S13EBK, BDR-S13EBK: Trust in excellence, starting with the BDR-S13-EX, followed by BDR-S13EBK. Our customers vouch for these incredible drives.Why choose us? We've proudly sold over 5000 drives in the last 3 years making us a go-to authority for advise. Our team, immersed in drive technology 24/7, ensures we offer only the most reliable options. No returns, just satisfaction – that's the Pioneer retail drives guarantee. Explore our extensive stock, all equipped with Libre-Drive friendly firmware. Your quest for excellence ends here."

UHD Friendly Drive Team.

Asmcom

viewtopic.php?t=19387
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

Im from Germany and need something to rip 4k uhd bluray

Only need Reading. Writing doesnt matter.
Vamp898

Post by Vamp898 »

For those living in germany, just look on amazon for usb bluray drive, there are several ones like the one from Verbatim that say in the ratings that it works out of the box with LibreDrive.

I am pretty sure it is no coincidence that this verbatim drive is best seller #1 on german amazon
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

But is there any 5,25" alternative?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

There was one until a couple of days ago but they are all sold out now. I recommend to contact asmcom unless you want to import from a foreign country.