Seeking Recommendations for the Best Pioneer LibreDrive in 2024

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
merc_for_god

Seeking Recommendations for the Best Pioneer LibreDrive in 2024

Post by merc_for_god »

Hello Everyone,

I am on the lookout for the most reliable and versatile Pioneer LibreDrive available in 2024. I value a drive that demonstrates both performance and durability, adaptable to various media and software environments. While I have no specific preference between a slim or a 5.25" drive, I am open to suggestions that align with my needs for quality and reliability.

I am located in Canada and would appreciate recommendations that take into account availability and support in my region. My primary use case involves backing up my Blu-ray 4K collection, and I am looking for a drive that excels in these areas.

I understand that the right choice may depend on many factors, including compatibility with various media, software, and the overall longevity and robustness of the drive. Therefore, any detailed insights into the Pioneer models, as well as your personal experiences with them, would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you in advance for your advice and recommendations!
Coopervid

Re: Seeking Recommendations for the Best Pioneer LibreDrive in 2024

Post by Coopervid »

Send a PM. But most people don't read their PMs. I'm frustrated.
merc_for_god

Post by merc_for_god »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:19 pm
I'm not entirely sure how to send a PM here, but I am actively following this thread. Please feel free to share your feedback in this discussion, and I'll be sure to read and respond to it. I understand your frustration and want to make sure your thoughts are heard!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Currently, for 2024, no NEW Pioneer drive is reliable for UHD. You need to find one built in 2022.

But that could change.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
merc_for_god

Post by merc_for_god »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:56 am
Currently, for 2024, no NEW Pioneer drive is reliable for UHD. You need to find one built in 2022.

But that could change.
Thank you for your response. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Considering that it's now between 2023 and 2024, which Pioneer drives available for purchase would support ripping? For example, I recently bought this drive: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0843N ... UTF8&psc=1. I'm uncertain if its current firmware is compatible with MakeMKV software and LibreDrive. It would be helpful if the replies could include more technical details, such as the maximum firmware version the drive should have, among other specifications.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

merc_for_god wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:06 am
Woodstock wrote:

But that could change.
Thank you for your response. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Considering that it's now between 2023 and 2024, which Pioneer drives available for purchase would support ripping? For example, I recently bought this drive: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0843N ... UTF8&psc=1. I'm uncertain if its current firmware is compatible with MakeMKV software and LibreDrive. It would be helpful if the replies could include more technical details, such as the maximum firmware version the drive should have, among other specifications.
The only drive you can currently get that should still work out of the box is the Verbatim 43888, which contains a Pioneer BDR-UD04 inside. For any other libredrive & UHD compatible Pioneer drive, the only place to get one is from a seller on this forum as all store stock will more than likely have the recent incompatible firmware. If the firmware on a Pioneer drive is dated December 2022 or newer then it is currently incompatible.

Find a seller on this forum that is able to ship to you.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

merc_for_god wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

But that could change.
Check your PM.
merc_for_god

Post by merc_for_god »

Coopervid wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:37 am
merc_for_god wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

But that could change.
Check your PM.
thank you! I just replied a few mins ago.
freezer

Post by freezer »

Coopervid wrote:
Newb here, and can't PM yet. But maybe you can send me one? I'm after the same advice the OP is looking for.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

freezer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:14 am
Coopervid wrote:
Newb here, and can't PM yet. But maybe you can send me one? I'm after the same advice the OP is looking for.
What is your country of residence?
Trek_Doctor

Post by Trek_Doctor »

I’m afraid I’m in the same boat as the previous poster. I’m located in North Texas (US), and have now accumulated enough non-libre-compatible UHD drives to write my own do-not-buy blog.

I’d appreciate any suggestions as to a current source for a compatible drive; as I’m also Newb-certified, no PMs for me here…yet…

On behalf of me (and my wallet), thanks in advance for any leads!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Trek_Doctor wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:22 pm
I’m afraid I’m in the same boat as the previous poster. I’m located in North Texas (US), and have now accumulated enough non-libre-compatible UHD drives to write my own do-not-buy blog.

I’d appreciate any suggestions as to a current source for a compatible drive; as I’m also Newb-certified, no PMs for me here…yet…

Which drives do you have before I respond via PM?
merc_for_god

Post by merc_for_god »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:40 pm
Trek_Doctor wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:22 pm

Which drives do you have before I respond via PM?
Hey team,

I just wanted to thank Coopervid — he is a true gentleman and successfully changed my firmware. I did not pay any money to Mr. Coopervid, so rest assured that he is truly helping the community. Here is my working drive info with MakeMKV; now I will be able to back up my 4K collection.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD04
Revision: 1.14
Serial number: 
Firmware date: 2020-06-15
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 61

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8A10
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-US04
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.14
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: GOTUHD_S2_D2_B5
Timestamp: 2018-06-12 12:00:04
Protection: AACS2.0/C v61
Data capacity: 91.96 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80

Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You could have made this must shorter reading the f...ings tutorial. I don't get it. Even telling these people they just fumble blindly. I try to cool down but it's insane!!! People refuse to read the most primitive and easy instructions and then fail initially. Bummer!!!!!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

So. Next time I will only send the tutorial and ask if it's understood. And only send the flasher and firmware then. Pretty stupid but when people act so It's the only way.