Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S 1.00 fw vendor tip

Paid services by fellow forum members. Not affiliated with MakeMKV.
stanice

Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S 1.00 fw vendor tip

Post by stanice »

Hi, just received my first 4K UHD blu-ray drive and made my first 4K MKV, went great!

Thanks to tips on this forum I went for the Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S model for use with my Macs. It was the lowest price option I could find from a reputable brand with a USB-C connection (for convenience and no worries about ample power supply), an optional DC power jack, included 4K blu-ray player software.

I understand on this drive that firmware version 1.02 creates problems with LibreDrive, so I tried to find a vendor that might have older stock with 1.01 or 1.00 firmware still installed.

I got lucky with the ebay vendor aaawavecom (also at aaawave.com) and mine came with firmware 1.00, sticker on the box says it was manufactured June 2022. They currently have 8 units remaining at US$136 if anyone else is in the market!

LibreDrive is supported and my initial test MKV of “First Man” (2018) went great. Took about 2 hours to create 121GB of MKV media. Used a Macbook Air 2019 (intel) with MakeMKV 1.17.3. Would recommend!
Attachments
Pioneer MakeMKV.png
Pioneer MakeMKV.png (806.36 KiB) Viewed 6528 times
Dominick7

Re: Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S 1.00 fw vendor tip

Post by Dominick7 »

Is it still working fine or have you moved on to another one? What's the rate of failed rips and or burns? Also do you think the 2 year warranty is sufficient?
irishogrady

Re: Pioneer BDR-XD08UMB-S 1.00 fw vendor tip

Post by irishogrady »

Thank you for posting this stanice.

I realize it's an older post but this particular vendor on eBay (aaawavecom) still has a lot of units listed. I took a chance and contacted them to see if they were willing to comment on how many with manufacturing dates prior to December 2022. Unfortunately the representative that responded to my inquiry wasn't particularly motivated to address my question and chose not to comment on whether or not they still had any available. Oh well, it was worth a shot! :)