Ripping 3D Blu-ray to MKV to play on Quest 3?

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
Ashley808

Ripping 3D Blu-ray to MKV to play on Quest 3?

Post by Ashley808 »

Hi, does anyone know anything about ripping 3D Blu-rays to your home server and playing them on Quest 3 using the 4XVR app? I've got alot of my movies ripped and work fine on the quest. Some video files do not show up as 3D so any help would be appreciated TY!. :D Trying to add an image of what im talking about but it says board attachment quota reached so it won't let me :(
unclecuddles

Re: Ripping 3D Blu-ray to MKV to play on Quest 3?

Post by unclecuddles »

I'm having a similar issue. I have all my 3D blurays backed up by MakeMKV as ISOs and my media player can play these back in full resoltion with bluray menus etc. in 3D. However when I play back the files in 4XVR they are detected as flat 2D movies. I contacted the developer and they have come back to say it is because the file I am trying to play does not have any SSIF files. I checked and there is a SSIF folder, but the files are SSIF.SMAP - I am not sure if this is something that is added by MKV as part of the convertion/decryption process? The developer has been very helpful and has said they are looking to increase compatibility in the near future so hopefully it won't be too long until they are working.
unclecuddles

Re: Ripping 3D Blu-ray to MKV to play on Quest 3?

Post by unclecuddles »

Got a email from the 4XVR developer asking if I could share a 3D ISO with ssif.smap files and within a couple of days they have fixed the issue. Now ISO backups of 3D blu-rays stream perfectly from my NAS on SMB to my Quest 3 using 4XVR.

As an aside, before the solution I created MKVs from the ISO backups and they played perfectly before the fix - this is full resolution frame packed 3D, not SBS or any other re-encoding. I tried playing these back in all of the other video playback apps on the Quest 3 and they played but had massive frame skipping.

Massive thumbs up for 4XVR on the Quest 3!