Can MakeMKV properly rip 3D Blu-rays?

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
spudhavorson

Re: Can MakeMKV properly rip 3D Blu-rays?

Post by spudhavorson »

So - I've been able to make good 3D rips, but have encountered one disc issue. How to Train Your Dragon (2010) will not complete an MVC rip no matter what I try. I've tried different releases of the film also. I've had no issues completiing rips from HTTYD 2 and 3, but the first film appears to be a no-go. I'm assuming this is an issue with copyright protection, but I have no idea how to get around it.

Any thoughts?
Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

My 3D copy of How to Train Your Dragon ripped just fine, guessing you have a bad disc. Maybe try cleaning it?
andykempson

Post by andykempson »

croweyes1121 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:58 pm
Yes, this can be done. I assume what you're attempting to do is rip a 3D Blu-ray to something like a HDD or SSD, plug that in via USB, and play back the frame-packed 3D Blu-ray on your standalone player on your 3DTV. This is easy as hell, but PICKY as hell. SO easy in fact that I couldn't believe it was something so simple, but I've tested this now with several discs, and it has worked every time.

1. Rip just the movie file with MakeMKV, and make sure you check the MVC video stream. All of that we knew...
2. Open the resulting MKV file with tsmuxer and export to m2ts. Now - HERE'S the VITAL step that makes the file work...when you load up the MKV file into tsmuxer, the MVC video is in Position 1 by default. You MUST highlight the MVC video and move it down to Position 2. THAT'S IT. That's the whole damned problem. I don't know why this is a thing, but it is. Once you get your m2ts file, just throw it on your USB drive, and your player will play it back just like a 3D Blu-ray disc, auto-detecting the 3D signal and all. Hope this helps!
Thank you croweyes1121, this 100% works on my Mede8er MED600X3D! Just watched Blade Runner 2049 in 3D for the first time!
croweyes1121

Post by croweyes1121 »

andykempson wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:14 am
Thank you croweyes1121, this 100% works on my Mede8er MED600X3D! Just watched Blade Runner 2049 in 3D for the first time!
You're very welcome. :)