Compressing mkv files

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
lingenfr

Compressing mkv files

Post by lingenfr »

I've seen this discussed, but no real solution. I've ripped my BD and now have 4 mkv files (Fringe Season 1). Yes the files are huge. I would like to be able to watch on my N810, etc and want to compress down to a smaller file size. Handbrake doesn't seem to know what to do with them. I tried Avidemux but it reads nearly all of the file and then fails with a message about internal codec vc1. I have searched and can't find any answers. Is there any information on compressing the mkv files produced by makemkv with a linux app/tool? Simply saying use handbrake is not an answer as the start button is grayed out when I select the mkv file. Thanks for any assistance.
crowfax

Re: Compressing mkv files

Post by crowfax »

This little how-to from skittle should help you:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1313
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
skittle

Post by skittle »

Hi, as crowfax pointed: x264 with ffms2 input should be able to directly compress your video!

mux audio/subs from source with x264 output and your done :)
xchema

Post by xchema »

The best method, I think, is demux mkv and then compress video track with handbrake.
skittle

Post by skittle »

handbrake is just a front end to a (very outdated) x264.