[solved] sudo make install fails

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Infidelus

[solved] sudo make install fails

Post by Infidelus »

I've been using MakeMKV for a few years now on Linux Mint.

I decided to do a fresh install the other day, but wanted to try the new Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix distro. I couldn't get MakeMKV to install but thought it may be some issue with Remix so I've reinstalled Linux Mint (19.3) today but the install still fails.

Every time I run 'sudo make install', I get this error:

Code: Select all

sudo make install
autoxxx/install-sh -c -D -m 644 out/libdriveio.so.0 /usr/lib/libdriveio.so.0
autoxxx/install-sh: invalid option: -D
Makefile:48: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1
I didn't have the problem with 19.2 but I was using 1.14.5 then so I don't know if it's something to do with the latest version of MakeMKV.

All help appreciated.
Last edited by Infidelus on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FeRDNYC

Re: sudo make install fails

Post by FeRDNYC »

I know it's been nearly a month and this is probably solved, but...
  • Yes, it's true that use of the -D flag makes the Makefile install rules incompatible with the fallback autoxxx/install-sh script, surprisingly enough.
  • The reason nobody noticed that before, though, is that the script in that directory is ONLY used as a last resort, when the configure script can't find a usable install command on the system.
Normally /usr/bin/install will be used instead, if it's present. If it's NOT, then most likely you need to install coreutils:

$ sudo apt install coreutils
Then you'll need to reconfigure the build tree, probably safest to clean it and rebuild too:

$ make clean
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install
Look for this line in the configure output, to indicate that the system install command is being picked up properly:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
Infidelus

Re: sudo make install fails

Post by Infidelus »

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't actually solved the issue and had actually given up on it and was waiting to see if a new version fixed it.

I've just tried again and it's not coreutils:

coreutils is already the newest version (8.28-1ubuntu1).
Checking the output from ./configure as suggested did actually lead me to the fix though:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install: setting permissions for '/home/infi/Downloads/makemkv-oss-1.14.7/conftest.dir/conftest.one': Operation not permitted
/usr/bin/install: setting permissions for '/home/infi/Downloads/makemkv-oss-1.14.7/conftest.dir/conftest.two': Operation not permitted
autoxxx/install-sh -c
The reason for the error is that I have a symbolic link redirecting my Downloads folder to a Xigmanas share and it looks like there's some kind of NFS permission problem there. Not sure why as this machine should have full read/write access, but Xigmanas has been causing me a few permissions headaches here and there. Either way, I can workaround it by extracting and compiling locally.

Thanks for getting me on the right track :)