"Fatal error - program will now exit" - try upgrading Java

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
logic

"Fatal error - program will now exit" - try upgrading Java

Post by logic »

Getting "Fatal error - program will now exit" on Linux? Give a newer version of Java a try. I was trying to rip the new Knives Out retail release, and it kept failing part-way through scanning through the titles, using Java 1.8 (as shipped with Fedora). Backups worked fine, it was just trying to rip the individual tracks that was a problem.

I installed OpenJDK 11 (again, from Fedora; the java-11-openjdk package), pointed MakeMKV at it via the full path of the new version (in my case, "/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-11.0.6.10-0.fc31.x86_64/bin/java") under the "Protection" preferences tab, and suddenly it was happily reading the contents of the disc.

I got the hint from elsewhere on the forum where someone had the same issue, but thought it might be good to highlight it here as well.
SpookyKabuki

Re: "Fatal error - program will now exit" - try upgrading Java

Post by SpookyKabuki »

Encountered the same issue with Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark.
On Ubuntu, tried updating/installing OpenJDK 11 & 12 through apt, pointing MakeMKV at the Oracle Java Package, and then finally the direct OpenJDK 13 download before resolving the issue.
[rab]

Re: "Fatal error - program will now exit" - try upgrading Java

Post by [rab] »

I had the same issue with the same film (Knives Out). I updated to JDK 11 using these instructions and following the the PPA answer, after which I pointed my Java custom executable location in Makemkv preferences to it and, voila, it stopped killing the rip at the Java step