MakeMKV v1.15.0 no longer works over VNC

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
chschmid

MakeMKV v1.15.0 no longer works over VNC

Post by chschmid »

I am connected to my Ubuntu 18.04 machine via VNC. I can not start MakeMKV v1.15.0 and when trying to start it from the command line it says:

Code: Select all

Qt: XKEYBOARD extension not present on the X server.
Gdk-Message: 21:32:35.762: VirtualBox: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.
I guess this has to do with the move from Qt4 to Qt5. But I thought it's worth reporting as it may break other people's setups as well.
eladkse

Re: MakeMKV v1.15.0 no longer works over VNC

Post by eladkse »

I too had this problem when upgrading. Did not work with my TightVNC installation, as TightVNC does not support Xkeyboard.

However, after switching to TigerVNC (which does have support), it now works fine.

EDIT: To be clear, this is not a fault with MakeMKV. But rather, with certain VNC server tools that lack the Xkeyboard extension. Any QT5 application that uses Xkeyboard would have the same problem.
chschmid

Post by chschmid »

Thank you eladkse for providing a solution! I also switched to TigerVNC and can confirm that everything works again fine now.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I recommend x11vnc. Instructions for Ubuntu here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/229989/ ... gin-screen