MakeMKV v1.15.0 Application failed to initialize

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
old-linux

MakeMKV v1.15.0 Application failed to initialize

Post by old-linux »

MakeMKV v1.15.0 builds and installs on my CentOS 6 box with no errors.

Trying to run it from the GUI menu fails - with a popup window
appearing on my screen that shows "Application failed to initialize".

Running "makemkv" from a shell shows that same popup window
and also the following output:

Code: Select all

$ makemkv
/usr/bin/makemkvcon: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by /usr/bin/makemkvcon
The previous version of MakeMKV ( v1.14.7 ) worked perfectly.

Thanks very much for any suggestions on this trouble.
Zirias

Re: MakeMKV v1.15.0 Application failed to initialize

Post by Zirias »

I have the same problem trying to update my FreeBSD port to 1.15.0 -- FreeBSD uses Centos 7 packages for Linux compatibility, so libstdc++ comes from GCC 4.8. It seems makemkvcon now needs at least the version from GCC 5.2 :(

@mike, maybe you could build makemkvcon with "-static-libstdc++ -static-libgcc", so it stays compatible with older systems?
old-linux

Post by old-linux »

@Zirius Thanks for the idea. The executable that is complaining "/usr/bin/mkemkvcon",
on my amd64 box is identical to the file "./makemkv-bin-1.15.0/bin/amd64/makemkvcon"
that's in the tree created when "makemkv-bin-1.15.0.tar.gz" is unpacked. I looked at the
Makefile and there is no compile there, only an install.

So unless I'm really confused, "makemkvcon" is a proprietary file of the MakeMKV devs,
and they're the only people on earth who can build that executable.
Zirias

Post by Zirias »

@old-linux that's why I suggested to mike to build with a static libstdc++ ;) Yes, makemkvcon is closed source. If you want to run it unmodified, your best bet is to upgrade your system. Your second best bet is to install a newer GNU toolchain from source locally, but that's pretty though...

Right now, I'm trying to build a cross-toolchain for FreeBSD that is compatible with the old glibc-2.17 and still has a newer libstdc++, to have a chance to run makemkv 1.15.0 on FreeBSD ... right now stuck at a strange assembler error message. If makemkvcon would link libstdc++ statically, these problems wouldn't exist :)